daddycoull

Animate cutting an object in two

I'm trying to imitate a pipe being cut in two (image attached).

I've set up a animated sweep and a tube primitive inside a boole and animated the sweep so it looks like it's be cut in two.  Problem I'm having with this is the crazy boole flickering (c4d file attached).

Is there a way to clean this up or another approach I could take to reach the same effect? I'm using R16 :z

Cheers.

Pipe split R&D.c4d

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 11.12.52.png

Booles and animations are notorious for that flickering thing (you could consider it karmic punishment for using one in the first place ;) and the only way to lose it (unless you have R20 and can use the volume builder instead) is to not use the boole I'm afraid :/

I'll have a think about other ways you could do this, but my initial thoughts suggest you should keep the tube in one piece until the welder has cut all the way round it, (and fake that burn line with displacement and materials), then do a simple animation (keyframed or dynamics) where one end of the tube falls off...

CBR

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Booles and animations are notorious for that flickering thing (you could consider it karmic punishment for using one in the first place ;) and the only way to lose it (unless you have R20 and can use the volume builder instead) is to not use the boole I'm afraid :/

I'll have a think about other ways you could do this...

CBR

yeah I'm constantly nagging my work to be more up to date with the software we use, but its like trying to draw blood from a stone..

I agree with @Cerbera.  Booles are the devil!  I also think you could probably fake it pretty well with displacement.  Maybe you could use a wetmap that's affected by your cutting torch.  I don't think there's an easy/straight-forward way to create wetmaps in R16, but XP has a shader and Merk Vilson apparently figured it out without plugins: 

• Like 1

@Bolos oh man, he's a genius!  And from the looks of a photo I saw, he's at most in his early 20s!  Basically a prodigy.  I was a Patreon supporter of him for a while.  So many amazing quick tips and genius techniques!  He has some plugins as well.

By the way, I think this is relevant to the conversation:

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

heres my take on it, timing could be better on animation but its not too bad. Thought originaly to add pipe either side but could probably extend this one starting from scratch. needs some extra bits and sparks etc but I thought it was working reasonably well. Finer detail with more segments etc, but my old mac says this is enough for me.

Sliced cylindrical falloff is the key here for me.

Deck

play for the effect, maybe stop at end and cut in half for the floor drop. bit square on the fall off ends but ok with certain noise. A few extra effectors stain maybe to take out some more random chunks

If you had R18 you could have done something similar and probably better with the voronoi fracture

tube melt_0003.c4d

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 19.41.44.png

• Like 2
    • Awesome 1

This is awesome @deck!  How did I not know about PolyFX until now?

EDIT:

Look what I just made on accident with  Plain effector and simple falloff!  This could be really cool if you used a Shader and a grayscale image to create a comic book look!
    image.thumb.png.21daa3da0a6b3d3bc32a2778c6a2ddc8.png

No idea how you missed that, I forget a lot of things and still consider myself a beginner but when they printed manuals i would read them cover to cover so have an idea whats there even if I don't know how to use it.

I tried this first with a tiny block cloned around 300 times but that didn't work, just made lots of blobs. The cylindrical sliced fall off was new to me, had never considered that.

Its like you've just got a new toy for free, happy days.

Deck.

PS like your cheese mountain

• Haha 1