• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
teknow

Brain Tickler

Here is a brain tickler (which has fried my brain). How can one model this in MoGraph? Reeper 2.05 doesn't do it.

e3e5f13e7a4e99841be506241e529453996b22f6.png.6360c7bdbb0ac76f203f7c785c79cd4c.png

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

Here's my attempt :

I noticed there's a pattern of 5 wires switching 90 degrees in 10 steps. So I made a N-side of 20 sides, edited it and duplicated every 20cm 10 times.

Then I duplicated those 10 N-sides and changed their size to match the interior wires.

Next I used the Pen tool to create a new spline (with Snap to Vertex on) and created the path for each wire on the exterior or interior N-sides to match your picture.

Finally I dropped the two sets into Cloners to make the full tube. It's not prefect (wrong length) but hopefully it gives you a good solution :)

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 15.17.11.png

Brain Tickler.c4d

Yeah, that is a doozy!  I tried my hand at it for a bit, but not quite there.  I started with a helix, made it editable, and flattened it to get the sine wave of the individual strand.  That may have been a mistake because I probably needed to do some more math down the line to get the right number of waves.  Anyway, here's what I've got so far.

Woven Cord v1.c4d

EDIT:
@Bolos looks like a great start!  Much closer than mine.  Funny how we took completely different approaches!

• Topic Author
  • Bolos and natevplas: Very cool! Both your solutions are great and really creative. Thank you. Now to see if I can come up with an exact replica version.

Hope it helps!  By the way, @teknow - I always read your username as "Tee - Know," since you know so much.  But looking at it today I see what you probably intended was "Tek Now!"  Am I right?  

• Topic Author
  • yup, "tech know" and somehow I came up with that a long time ago but now I think Hubris might be more appropriate, especially after seeing your two solutions.

You definitely helped.

1 hour ago, natevplas said:

EDIT:
    @Bolos looks like a great start!  Much closer than mine.  Funny how we took completely different approaches!

Indeed! I guess your solution could be less time consuming than mine if it was pushed further :)

Glad to help @teknow. I love those kind of challenges, it reminds me of my High School days when I had mechanical construction. We had a perspective view of an object and the job was to draw the blueprints of it, with real paper and pens. Everybody hated it but it was the best hours of the week for me :)

Yeah great solution there, @Bolos. I usually like to think of myself as fairly reasonable at modelling, but I still get utterly stumped by challenges like this, and I very much admire people with the sort of brains that can just come up with solutions like yours ! Excellent work :)

CBR

Thanks a lot @Cerbera! I must say I was kind of surprised to manage it this fast and on the first attempt, I have been kind of lucky this time.

• Topic Author
  • Here is something I stumbled upon in my wanderings:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2751275

It shows how to parametrically model a braid using Formula Splines. Very interesting.

Here is the file from it:

Rope Braid 1.c4d.zip

Now to try and make this apply to my original image. The fun never ends!

I've actually seen that before!  I was modeling a ring with a braided pattern.  It's pretty amazing, but certainly not user-friendly.  Maybe a plugin developer should create a braiding plugin for C4D.  Any of you out there?

• Topic Author
  • Have you seen this?

https://www.codeworkers.de/garage-plugins-reeperx_eng.html

Pretty cool.

BTW, the I just updated last example file because one formula spline had somehow become a spline.