Hello again,

I'm trying to create dynamics for a strap wrapped around a tube.  I know how to create dynamics splines that stick to one point to hold up an object, but this wrap around has me stumped.

I've attached a screenshot and the scene file.

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.17.34.png

Spline_Dynamics_R&D.c4d

I think you need to tell us how this is being animated. Just looking at this makes me thing those straps don't do much because of the weight they're holding. Maybe some basic swaying motion. What else will happen to these straps?

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, BigAl3D said:

I think you need to tell us how this is being animated. Just looking at this makes me thing those straps don't do much because of the weight they're holding. Maybe some basic swaying motion. What else will happen to these straps?

Hey I've literally just figured out what I needed to do lol.  

Didn't cross my mind that I could select all the verts that make up the curve of the sling and attach them to a null hidden inside the pipe.  Not perfect, needs a bit more subdivisions on the spline, but I think it works.

To answer you question, straps are going to be slack until the pipe is cut then tight once they take up the full weight.  So the dynamic spline and spring combo seemed the right choice.

Open to other approaches tho.  I've attached the updated scene file.

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 15.52.05.png

Spline_Dynamics_R&D.c4d

I was toying with this and think I found a good solution for you!  Use Cloth instead of splines with Spline Dynamics tags.  See my file where I set up one of the straps:

Spline_Dynamics_R&D v2.c4d

Just make sure you cache the Dynamics!  Otherwise the Cloth will always be delayed a frame.  I was trying to solve this with priorities, but couldn't.  Anyone know how to prevent that delay without caching?

Edited by natevplas
    • Awesome 1

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, natevplas said:

I was toying with this and think I found a good solution for you!  Use Cloth instead of splines with Spline Dynamics tags.  See my file where I set up one of the straps:

Spline_Dynamics_R&D v2.c4d

Just make sure you cache the Dynamics!  Otherwise the Cloth will always be delayed a frame.  I was trying to solve this with priorities, but couldn't.  Anyone know how to prevent that delay without caching?

Thanks for this! that is pretty awesome, I'm still relatively new to c4d and was unaware the cloth tags / cloth mods could do all this!!! 

Glad it helped!  If you have any questions, let me know.  

• Like 1