chrisjones

Fusion 360 modelling

Hi All,

I have just discovered Fusion 360, and downloaded a trial. I wondered if anyone on here used it to create decent block-outs to use as a start point for modelling in Cinema? or even well crafted meshes? it seems like it could be really useful to create hard surface stuff. I have experimented with some organic meshes, saved them as Step files and imported them into Cinema, then used the polygon pen to retopo the object. I know I could do much of that in Cinema, but it seems using a program that doesn't encourage me to continually refine like Cinema naturally would is in a way quite useful.

Form the brief overview I've had of F360, I suspect its main advantage over Cinema is to do with precision measurements, which seem easier to define, display and control than in Cinema. And also that it is CAD-style design, which some people find easier / more convenient than poly modelling. But I would imagine R20's Volume Builder might bridge the gap to some extent. Personally I don't feel the need to use anything else for blocking - for me Cinema has the nicest modelling environment, and I am comfortable enough with all its modelling tools that I haven't felt the need to get another app involved, although I must confess the occasional jealous glance over in 3D Max's direction :) If I ever did get some supplementary software for precision modelling, I suspect it would be Modo rather than Fusion I'd go for, but it's all personal preference, and I don't find the CAD approach as rewarding as poly modelling...

CBR

I wouldn't bother using it to block stuff out, the advantage of something like fusion is you can make extremely detailed, and complex hard surface models with out having to worry about topology or polygons or any of that stuff, that's what I'd use it for, things like robot arms or detailed weapons etc, things that would be a headache to sub d model in a traditional poly modelling software 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. I often discover little things that make me wonder if they are useful to assit with the modelling side of 3D, but I guess unless everybody is utilising these external tools then best to just persevere with Cinema's tools. For what it's worth, I have been plugging away for so long now at just modelling I actually feel I am getting somewhere at last. It takes so long, it's easy to desire a magic formula to make things easier. That said, I found I only got really schooled once I saw Make It Look Good 11 by Toby Pitman for Motionworks.

• Topic Author
  • @zeden thanks for the recommendation. Have you used it at all?