katiesh

Render time went from 6 mins to an hour

Hey guys,

So I've been working on a personal project for Easter and my first render was 6 mins per frame, however I removed some items that wasn't needed and now the render time is an hour per frame :164:

Here is a download link for the file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wmiUkVmWpY_fVBTt9cB-UvHQD9UHQy60 

Any ideas on what it could  be? 

thanks! :)

***Correction***

I posted too fast. The scene was slow to load and seamed like it didn't load. I'll take a look.

You're going to have to post images. Your scene was created with an educational version and I can't open it with my retail R20.

OK, I have a few thoughts. First off, there are many missing textures, all the one that point to your Downloads folder on your PC. Anyway, I'm rendering on a very old 2008 Mac Pro with 28 GB RAM. I just hit render a single frame (1st frame) and it took around 13 min. A good 4-5 min. just to calculate, mainly SSS somewhere in your scene. Not sure where the SSS is and I would make sure you really need it. That could shave a lot of time. OK, if you need SSS, that's fine. I like the Physical renderer, and in many cases, it renders faster, but not in this case. I even simplified the settings to Fixed and 3 passes. Render time was down to 04:13 min. to render. I then switched to Standard render and Best setting. I also removed the Physical Sky object. This is slow to render and you can just use a Sky object with a texture map to get the stars. Total render time only 3:25 min., but they looked very similar, again the only the first frame. Again this is only a 2008 Mac Pro so if you have an i7 or Xeon, it would render very quickly. Hope this helps.

You sure you didn't change anything else because changing a single rendering setting can change render time by hours.

What items did you delete?

thank you @BigAl3D those textures would be graffiti on the walls near the bridge; im not sure what SSS is lol (new to this) but my guess is that it would be the texture for the buildings or the road maybe. Luckily I duplicated the file when the rendering times were low so I've had a play with that and its rendering fine atm so not sure what went wrong with the linked one, thank you for your help! Means a lot :)

@Fastbee I did play with the Depth of Field but did undo it all; there's graffiti on the back wall near the bridge and deleted some of that as there was too much

Thankyou for everyones help! I didn't need the SSS and changed to standard render and the frames now render in 56secs :thisrocks: 

Great. That's why the Cafe is awesome. There's always someone that can help you learn. When you finish this piece, would love to see the final animation.

Try this file, I did some quick tweaking, render time on 7820X 4.3GHz is 10-18 sec per frame, depends of scene.

Cheers, Danijel

easter_4.rar