Sign in to follow this  
SeanB

How to create an irregular platonic?

A client gave me this 2D pic and asked me to create a 3D model from it. I tried starting with icosahedron type sphere, but I can't get the 10 vertices/edges round the outside, it seems to default to 12. Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

1931486360_2Dcustomplatonic.thumb.PNG.c30bb614f871055e8a9a0fc0d91b2af5.PNG

This is not a platonic solid, you will not bve able to create a regular body from this. If you happen to achieve it you might apply for the fields mdeal ;)
What comes closest is an icosahedron.

• Topic Author
  • Yeah that's what i suspected... is there any way to tweak an icosahedron to reduce the panels and get those 10 edges?

If you never have to see the back of it, you could just model from the front until things don't line up anymore...  That's what I'd tell your client is the best possible solution.  They're asking for something that is literally mathematically impossible.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks. That looks like my only option... I know they want it rotating so I'll have to guess what it look like round the back. Urgh.

22 hours ago, SeanB said:

Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Come on guys, let's not give up so easily ! :) I think I can see a way...

If you think of that image as the front half of what I am assuming is a largely spherical form then this could be doable. I think I would start off flat in an orthographic view, and trace that image with individual 2-point linear (interpolation: none) splines per edge, then back in Perspective view I'd use an X-ray high segmentation Sphere primitive as a guide to polygon snap the end points of the splines to the sphere's surface (moving each end point on one axis only until it is surface-coincident), so that you build a half-sphere of splines that you could then mirror to the other side. Then, you could either combine the splines, spherify deformer the result, and Sweep that, or you could whack the deformed splines straight under a Volume builder to seamlessly connect them. 

Not sure if that will give them what they are imagining, but it is something to try...  let me know if it helps ! Might give it a go myself this evening if I get time...

CBR

Had a quick go, and yes this can be done, although of course it remains impossible to know exactly what they had in mind when sketching. Did mainly the above, but also subtly moved some points to where I thought they should be rather than where they were in the drawing ! Looks like they 'almost' sketched themselves an irregular polygon there !

463569435_IrregularPolygon.thumb.gif.cb6e156ab92eaf432e3bfce677c3ac7c.gif

CBR

Something like this? :-)

Ball.jpg

Oh yeah, yours makes more sense ! You managed to get it regular ! How d'ya do that then ? :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • woah you guys are amazing! there is no way i could have done that in such a short time, my modelling skills are very basic. can i get a copy?

A Star spline with lathe.

Current State to Object. Half cutted vertically.

All point to same Z position - now is a plane :-). With polygon pen rearrange points as in client model.

Created a Sphere and projected my plane in it. Deleted the Sphere.

Then I've duplicated the new hemisphere and rotated 180º - connect object and delete. 

Atom array, camera, focus, physical, mat: plane with fresnel, client model with some kind of fresnel in color.

Not as I wanted, but very close. That was a very nice exercice.

That's some very creative experimenting there, JM :) What made you think of a star spline initially ? How many points was that star btw ? :)

CBR