Sign in to follow this  
daddycoull

Rigging a Cherry Picker

• Topic Author
  • 21 hours ago, digitvisions said:

I am not sure but i could be fixed with the Gimballing Rotation checked on the rotation tool >object axis>Gimballing Rotation. in the meantime i made this slider xpresso set up it's not perfect but it works ( no ik)

C4D_C_Picker_Rigging_option_2.c4d

Thanks for taking the time to create that, that's kind what I had set up, but instead of 1 controller controlling all 3 arms, I have 1 controller for each arm.

Forgetting all the other bits and concentrating on the section in the images uploaded, what am I missing that connects the two parts highlighted by the red circle, but still allows the red part to rotate at the point where the yellow dot is? (see attached image).

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 14.25.58.png

I'd use joints like in the file below.  Note how you can move the "move this joint" and everything works out.

working rig.zip

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Fastbee said:

I'd use joints like in the file below.  Note how you can move the "move this joint" and everything works out.

working rig.zip

Thanks for this I'll give it a try!

• Topic Author
  • I did it! >.<

Butttt the red part is a little wonky!!! so close.  Any idea why?

To make this work I watch the video of the lamp rigging closely and realised I had to change the pivot point of the elbow (red part) so that it rotates at the point where it meets Arm 1 (green part).  I also changed the order so it becomes a child of Arm 1.  I then added a PSR constraint to Arm 1 copying the position of the base (black part).  I then created a Null (Elbow Rotation Null) and placed it at the end of Arm 2 (Yellow part) where it joins the Elbow.  I then added a Aim constraint to the Elbow and made it aim at the Null.  I had to tweak the offset and although it's slightly wonky it works and does as intended. (small win!).

But as my question above is there a way to sort this wonkiness?

I've attached an updated file and screenshot. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 15.14.26.png

C4D_Rigged Cherry Picker2.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Fixed the wonkiness, just turned off the Aim constraint then sorted the elbow and turned it back on, seemed to sort it.  Maybe a bug of R16? dunno, but yay finally!