Sign in to follow this  
daddycoull

Rigging a Cherry Picker

Hey,

I'm trying to rig up this cherry picker, pistons I know how to do and creating xpresso sliders to move parts etc, but I've never really used an IK chain to animate before. Well that's my thinking behind the best way to animated this.

I'm basically wanting it to move up and down on the y axis and fold and unfold in an up and down motion just like a cherry picker would.  It doesn't have to be massively complicated.

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 16.06.19.png

C4D C_Picker_Rigging.c4d

More then one IK might be good as you have one arm bending one way and the other bending the opposite way and this would not be possible to do with a single IK.  For the piston parts using Cactus Dan's now free tools might be the way to go.  He has a specific Piston IK for this.  If setup right all you would need to do is move the basket at the end to have everything work right.

A video showing the piston IK in action.

https://youtu.be/8AV_xDomRsY?t=98

• Topic Author
  • Hi thanks for the replies,

This is where I'm at, I've basically set it up so I can control it with 3 sliders so it unfolds, but there is one small problem, the section (marked in red) rotates inwards as the arm collapses and for some reason I can't seem to get it to look at (target) the end of the  top most green frame (thinner of the two).  Everytime I try and add a target(Aim) constraint to the red section it flips into some weirdness, which Is annoying as I set this up just using primitive objects to see if what I wanted would work.

Any idea why it is doing this?

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 17.19.41.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 17.21.28.png

C4D_C_Picker_Rigging.c4d

When I try opening your file it says unknown file format.

• Topic Author
  • 12 hours ago, Fastbee said:

When I try opening your file it says unknown file format.

weird as it opens fine for me, here's it uploaded again, but with a different name. 

Thanks for taking a look

C4D_C_Picker_Rigging_2.c4d

Hi, I don't have time to look at the file at the moment, but this could be because of the position and location of the axis on that plate, and the axis direction that look at is set to.

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, I don't have time to look at the file at the moment, but this could be because of the position and location of the axis on that plate, and the axis direction that look at is set to.

Yeah thought that too, but still can't get it to work >.<

I am not sure but i could be fixed with the Gimballing Rotation checked on the rotation tool >object axis>Gimballing Rotation. in the meantime i made this slider xpresso set up it's not perfect but it works ( no ik)

C4D_C_Picker_Rigging_option_2.c4d

You have the Arm 1 (a1) aiming at the Elbow 1 Null (e1n).  If you then put a aim on Elbow 1 (e1) pointing to the Arm1 Null (a1n) it forms a loop.  a1 points to e1n which is effected by e1 rotation as e1 is it's parent, which rotates to point at a1n which the child of a1 which is pointing to e1n.  You can't do that.  Confusing the computer is bad.

• Topic Author
  • 19 hours ago, Fastbee said:

You have the Arm 1 (a1) aiming at the Elbow 1 Null (e1n).  If you then put a aim on Elbow 1 (e1) pointing to the Arm1 Null (a1n) it forms a loop.  a1 points to e1n which is effected by e1 rotation as e1 is it's parent, which rotates to point at a1n which the child of a1 which is pointing to e1n.  You can't do that.  Confusing the computer is bad.

aye I see what you mean woops! 

Forgetting all the other bits and concentrating on the section in the images uploaded, what am I missing that connects the two parts highlighted by the red circle, but still allows the red part to rotate at the point where the yellow dot is?

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 14.24.49.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 14.25.58.png