rasputin

Visible seams in Cubic Projection mode..

Hey guys,

This may seem like something of a n00B question,   though I've been doing C4D for over a decade.    It's like this:    When you select a Cubic Projection mode for an object's texture,    sometimes you are going to get visible seams,   like the one you see in my screencap here.

1782475408_textureseams.thumb.PNG.cfab6c0c312b2d294120db2faf8f80bb.PNG

Question:   What determines where those seams will appear on any given object?    Can I hide/remove/disguise those seams.. and still keep my Cubic projection?    I like the look of a Cubic Projection,   it looks better than any of the other default Projection modes.      Frontal projection will indeed give me a seamless look,  but as we know,   it risks looking unnatural inasmuch as the texture is distributed uniformly over the object,   and changes in appearance with camera angle and focus distance.

Thoughts?  Hints?   Tips?

Thanks,   ras

Art is mostly about liking things.---   Andy Warhol

Mine with noise. No apparent seams. That's maybe because noise produces a seamless image, but not sure about it. Tests will be necessary.

First image with bump and displacement, second bump only.

Cheers.

disp.jpg

bump.jpg

The problem here is that we are trying to do cubic mapping on something that isn't a cubic form. The seams are there because cubic doesn't know what to do with angles of 45 degrees, and there's a lot of those on virved organic surfaces such as yours. So yes, while you can sometimes get away with it with certain seamless noises, in a lot more cases (such as working with a bitmap for example) you can't, because the seams you get will be obvious, because the mapping mode is ultimately not ideal for the form. But that doesn't mean we can't do it, and do it quite well if we have to....

The way around this is to use what I like to think of as Cubic Mapping ++, something called Tri-planar Mapping. This works by using 3 separate flat projections (stacked via the projector shader), but unlike Cubic, actually blends between them at the seams, alleviating the problem to the point where it is not noticeable in the render.

I did a thread about this a while back which should help you. I wish this was a default mapping type in Cinema, but while it isn't, we can make our own TPM material  (fairly laborious) setup once, then save it for future use in the Content Library.

CBR

Yes, that's right, CBR. But with noises it shows up properly. My example is in cubic projection. Doesn't have seams.

5 minutes ago, jmarco said:

But with noises, CBR? My example is in cubic projection. Doesn't have seams.

Reload the page - was still editing my answer ! :) Yes it can work with noise, depending on what texture space that noise is set to, but IME most of the time we want to use cubic, it's with bitmaps, and that's where the seams will be most apparent wherever there is a 45 degree angle that forces cubic to make a choice that is always wrong !

CBR

Yes, of course. I was repporting only to this example, as asked.

The tri-plannar thread is really nice.