rasputin

Multipass: Where did my DOF go?

Hey guys,

I've set up a scene using Standard Render,  to which I've added pronounced DOF post-effect,    in both blur and in tint.    All good and well.    In the picture viewer,  it rendered like this,  which is what I want.

1393415580_ballswithDOF.thumb.PNG.8481c4e89b449a49637ed365bdb53b91.PNG

Out of curiosity,  I also rendered a Multipass Image,    with all the available layers checked active,  just so I could study them in Photoshop.

To my surprise,      the Multipass PSD  Image-- with all its pertinent layers active in P'SHOP---   ended up looking like this.   

37907660_finalrender.thumb.PNG.42a8f26c218b1b89ce880f29cbe0fe0c.PNG

Not only considerably darker in appearance,   but my DOF was nowhere to be found amongst the layers...   neither the blur nor the color tint.

QUESTIONS:    Why did the Multipass PSD look much darker and over-saturated in P'SHOP,     and where did my DOF go?   Do none of the Multipass layers contain that DOF information?

Thanks,   ras

Art is mostly about liking things.---   Andy Warhol

The darkness may be the result of the render using Linear Colour Space, while using 8Bit colour depth.

Make sure you render in 16/32bit if using Linear Colour Space and Multi-passes.

The Depth Of Filed  should show in Photoshop as a black/White Depth Pass layer, which you then need to use as a source for the Camera Blur Effect.

I don't think you'll see the DOF in a multiples unless you'e looking at the standard rgb image rendered separately from the passes.  (The image rendered in the top Save dialogue box).

Phil Richards, www.fugidesign.co.uk

This guys, the GSGorilla team, have an example in how to deal with something like it.

That's not exactly what you asked but it can help if seen in a different angle.

What is the correct workflow for doing Depth of Field and Motion Blur in After Effects? Cuz when I use the z-pass I get this odd fringing in AE and the vector pass is confusing.

I hope it helps.

João Marco

• Like 1