Hello.

I am finally making the move from mac to my first custom built PC. I have ZERO experience but have done research and I have developed this build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W2nPq4

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($864.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($155.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($294.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($138.90 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($99.87 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($932.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $3046.48

I primarily use Corona renderer so i am looking for a powerful CPU. I am also looking to try out GPU renderers such as octane, so I also need a powerful GPU, but that isn't the priority. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. I usually create stills and sometimes quick animations, but nothing too intense. 

Do i need a sound card and wireless network adaptor? Is there anything im missing? Anything i can improve upon? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advanced, 

I'd get more memory than that myself. Although it seems a lot by normal PC standards, I have 32 GB, and occasionally find myself with 'out of memory' errors in huge scenes with 8k textures. 64GB is probably a safer bet.

Soundcard-wise - the one that comes with your motherboard will be 100% fine unless you are a Producer or Audio Engineer and this PC will be an Audio Production workstation as well. Network adapter will be on your motherboard too, so no need for an external one of those.

CBR

• Like 2

That's a fine pc. Yes, maybe 32GB.

Wireless can be found in the motherboard: Intel® 802.11ac WiFi.

You can buy a sound card later if you want to invest in a decent audio system - even if not audio-pro.

Cheers.

João Marco

• Like 1

That looks like a neat system you're building there.

Quick note: Don't forget modeling is a single threaded operation (rendering is a multi threaded one) so single thread speed and efficiency is quite more important than people starting in 3D tend to think.

System wise: 2 notes based on personal bad calls

- Make sure the voltage of the processor is easily managed by the motherboard

- Get the best PSU unit your budget can go for. 80% of all my pc hardware malfunctions the past 10 years were rooted there

Oh, and Win Home and not Pro with that system is a bit of a let down.

Best

VH

• Like 1

You might want to get even stronger power supply, 1000W + . Gold certification is certainly a plus so don't spare there. Also, get 64Gb of ram - Everything else is quite good :)

• Like 1

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I'd go for a RTX card as you could see a 8x speedup in rendering if they ever get the Tensor cores on them working in software.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • On 2/27/2019 at 10:24 PM, Fastbee said:

I'd go for a RTX card as you could see a 8x speedup in rendering if they ever get the Tensor cores on them working in software.

could you perhaps provide a link to some more information about these cards? Thanks for you response!

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/introduction-nvidia-rtx-directx-ray-tracing/

Video rendered in real time using Nvidia RTX

https://youtu.be/KJRZTkttgLw

It seems Octane is about to release a version that uses the Tensor cores.  It's not a 8x speedup as the 8x is only for the raytracing happening and there is other things that need to be done like texture calculation and polygon things, but 2.8x speedup is still pretty good.

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70705