• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Michael Rader

Animate SECTION of texture on a surface

I have a plane with a displacement texture applied to it. I want to remove a trail of that displacement from the surface. How would I do something like that?

You want to animate or displace part of a plane? Is that it?

(If I understood you correctly)

Make a layer on your displacement texture

Go to the bottom of the layer and place a uniform light grey color

On top of it pick a gradient

Modify the gradient so that it matches your trail line. Make sure your trail is the black part of the gradient

Use the gradient as a layer mask of the displacement noise above 

Animate the gradient sliders to animate the trail

Hope that helps

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Vertex Helix said:

(If I understood you correctly)

Make a layer on your displacement texture

Go to the bottom of the layer and place a uniform light grey color

On top of it pick a gradient

Modify the gradient so that it matches your trail line. Make sure your trail is the black part of the gradient

Use the gradient as a layer mask of the displacement noise above 

Animate the gradient sliders to animate the trail

Hope that helps

I don't think this would be possible. The trail is a long, winding trail on the ground. How would I get the gradient to perfectly appear along this path only?

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, jmarco said:

You want to animate or displace part of a plane? Is that it?

No. I have a plane with a texture displacement applied to it. I want to create a long winding trail on the plane. To do this, I want to animate the texture so that the displacement doesn't show only along this trail. 

Is this the sort of thing you mean, where there is no displacement wherever there is the path spline ?

DispTrail.thumb.JPG.543409b3867f6abc330c0319f92d6bb8.JPG

And you want the path to animate on, right ?

CBR

Yes. That's it. I guess.

• Topic Author
  • 14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Is this the sort of thing you mean, where there is no displacement wherever there is the path spline ?

DispTrail.thumb.JPG.543409b3867f6abc330c0319f92d6bb8.JPG

CBR

Yes exactly, but from a displacer. It needs to be subtracted from a texture displacement. A displacer deformer will not work on my large geometry nor can I get it to work as a very narrow path. Here is the path I need to be slightly indented. (It is also impossible to use a boole.)

54837861_ScreenShot2019-02-28at2_35_03PM.thumb.png.417adfb69d4483599ab9e9078e8a4f5e.png

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, teknow said:

There are several ways to do that but a good one is to use the Vertex Shader

VM_as_mask_in_displacement.c4d.zip 105.58 kB · 0 downloads

And here's an animated version:

Vertex Map Mograph.c4d.zip 663.44 kB · 0 downloads

Oh nice! Not familiar with those tags (just started learning C4D). How did you create the path?

The Vertex Map is painted on using the Brush. This can be finessed later if desired by erasing or adding to areas. Then the Shader Effector has an animated Falloff in Box shape that follows the Y axis. Double click the Vertex tag and you will see the Vertex Map and can edit it in that mode. The Restriction Tag on the Shader Effector uses the Vertex Map to keep the sunken area only on the Vertex Map.

It looks like there would be a spline path there but there is none.

This might be a little confusing for a beginner but very worthwhile technique to learn.

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

• Topic Author
  • On 2/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, teknow said:

The Vertex Map is painted on using the Brush. This can be finessed later if desired by erasing or adding to areas. Then the Shader Effector has an animated Falloff in Box shape that follows the Y axis. Double click the Vertex tag and you will see the Vertex Map and can edit it in that mode. The Restriction Tag on the Shader Effector uses the Vertex Map to keep the sunken area only on the Vertex Map.

It looks like there would be a spline path there but there is none.

This might be a little confusing for a beginner but very worthwhile technique to learn.

Thank you so much for this. Learned some good stuff. The only problem is animating the falloff. On a twisty, meandering path, like a river, the falloff will affect other parts of the river.  As it moves along revealing what's in front of it it will also hide again parts of the river surrounding it. I hope that makes sense.  It would have to reveal parts of the river and keep them revealed regardless where the falloff is animated.