If you guys @marian neulant and @jmarco haven't had enough yet, there's some interesting things going on over in this thread, where we're discussing edge weighting whilst modelling a computer mouse, which has some exceptionally pleasing curves, if you appreciate that sort of thing :)

CBR

• Like 1

I'm following that since its begining. :-)

Thanks for that too.

João Marco

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera... didn´t find time to do the second part or redo the first one, but i think i understood someting

very basic, you control the detail depth with the amount of polygons? less polygons > rounder shape,

more polygons > more edgy/details? is that why you can achieve more precise objects in the subdivision

mode than in the volume mesh one, because you have more control?

why did you stich the bottom part and did not use close poly hole command?

why didn´t you draw the bottom part on the level of the top part an later moved it down? (top part was already rotated)

... only to understand

cheers!

27 minutes ago, marian neulant said:

but i think i understood something

very basic, you control the detail depth with the amount of polygons? less polygons > rounder shape,

more polygons > more edgy/details? is that why you can achieve more precise objects in the subdivision

mode than in the volume mesh one, because you have more control?

Almost right :) Yes, the more polys you have the more details you can represent in your mesh. But that is not the reason we use Subdivision Surfaces per se. We do that so that we can control a very high density mesh with the (considerably less) points of the base mesh under it, which is quicker, clearer and easier to work with. 

It is not quite true to say that you can achieve more precise objects in the subdivision mode than in the volume builder; better to say that you control the edge flow with the first method, and there simply ISN'T an edge flow using the Volume Builder !  But that doesn't make it less precise, it just means you are not in control of the topology, and the result is not necessarily as flexible and controllable as a model where the edge flow was designed exactly for purpose.

Does that makes sense ?

Why did you stitch the bottom part and did not use close poly hole command?

If I had used CPH, that would have then created 1 massive ngon ( polygon with more than 4 sides - the ultimate modelling sin) that I would then have to laboriously cut into quads with the knife tool, which is not an efficient use of time. Creating a 'patch' from the plane did nearly all the work for us in a few clicks...

Why didn´t you draw the bottom part on the level of the top part and later moved it down? (top part was already rotated)

Yep, I could equally have done that too, but then we'd have circular topology on the bottom where we don't need it - was trying to keep that bit as linear as possible, and wanted to show you the second way of making a quad patch !

CBR

• Like 1

Refresh the page - added answers to your remaining 2 questions :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • got it!

got it!

no more ngons.

the modeling fog lights up (1:1 german translation, ha)