Sign in to follow this  
marian neulant

Bend a selection

Bloody hell Marian, don't quote the tut in every post, or this page will stretch all the way to space !! I fixed your last post.

Don't worry, I can see what's going wrong :)

-how did you treat the blue object to have no visible mesh, that is irritating in the process

Sorry I should have said, put a display tag on it, then tick the top box therein.

-with the bridge tool, i had some points over each other, did not know how to avoid this

Were you in edge mode to do this ? If you are you should be able to click one on edge with the Bridge tool and drag it to the other...

-the glide tool didn´t work as expected, ... i have to look it up in the manual

You mean Slide, right ? That moves points along existing edges. To move points off existing edges, use the move tool or polygon pen instead.

-had some problems with the stich tool, couldn´t convince it to be more symmetrical

Yes, that's  because you are trying to stitch an uneven amount of edges, because a) the edge count of the circle and your shape are different, so stitch n sew cannot work, and b) you haven't quite got the circle bit right yet. Those polys need the same perfect circular rim as mine before you do the SnS, and the new polys made by it need a line cut down the center of them (see last pic of Step 13 of first post). You went wrong at step 12, and didn't make the rim, so best to now delete all the circle polys, start the circle again and go from there. But perhaps before you do that select the loop of edges that will eventually join to the circle bit, and check you do have 32 of them ! If you don't have 32, then you probably went wrong at Step 7 of Part 1. You have 31 edges on your model I'm afraid. Why is 31 edges no good ? Because then we couldn't quad-patch the circle, which requires an edge count divisible by 4. You need to add a single cut in the biggest gap in your top frame - THEN SnS will work to stitch it to a 32 side disc.

... and could not close last polygon

reason as above... you can't bridge 1 poly to 2.

and is there a way to line up points?

Yes, but you'd need to be a lot more specific about which points, and where !! :)

For example, if you want to line up 1 vertex with another then vertex snap is the way to go. if you want to line up (straighten) a row of points you'd use Local Normal Axis and quantized scale. If you wanted to line up and join 2 points you'd use the Weld tool.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • hey cbr,

thanks for your time and teaching me, student again with 45, love it!

i will try to redo the modeling later with the new knowledge.

we milled the lamp, looks nice, even in this rough state.

Lampe.jpeg

Excellent job - looks very smooth and nice :)

CBR

Great, Marian! Don't forget to post here your final work. Not just this but the complete work. :-) If you can, of course... I'd like to see it!

Thanks, Cerbera. It gives me a new point of view! You are a great modeller.

Cheers.

João Marco

If you guys @marian neulant and @jmarco haven't had enough yet, there's some interesting things going on over in this thread, where we're discussing edge weighting whilst modelling a computer mouse, which has some exceptionally pleasing curves, if you appreciate that sort of thing :)

CBR

I'm following that since its begining. :-)

Thanks for that too.

João Marco

• Topic Author
  • ... very interesting!

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera... didn´t find time to do the second part or redo the first one, but i think i understood someting

very basic, you control the detail depth with the amount of polygons? less polygons > rounder shape,

more polygons > more edgy/details? is that why you can achieve more precise objects in the subdivision

mode than in the volume mesh one, because you have more control?

why did you stich the bottom part and did not use close poly hole command?

why didn´t you draw the bottom part on the level of the top part an later moved it down? (top part was already rotated)

... only to understand

cheers!

27 minutes ago, marian neulant said:

but i think i understood something

very basic, you control the detail depth with the amount of polygons? less polygons > rounder shape,

more polygons > more edgy/details? is that why you can achieve more precise objects in the subdivision

mode than in the volume mesh one, because you have more control?

Almost right :) Yes, the more polys you have the more details you can represent in your mesh. But that is not the reason we use Subdivision Surfaces per se. We do that so that we can control a very high density mesh with the (considerably less) points of the base mesh under it, which is quicker, clearer and easier to work with. 

It is not quite true to say that you can achieve more precise objects in the subdivision mode than in the volume builder; better to say that you control the edge flow with the first method, and there simply ISN'T an edge flow using the Volume Builder !  But that doesn't make it less precise, it just means you are not in control of the topology, and the result is not necessarily as flexible and controllable as a model where the edge flow was designed exactly for purpose.

Does that makes sense ?

Why did you stitch the bottom part and did not use close poly hole command?

If I had used CPH, that would have then created 1 massive ngon ( polygon with more than 4 sides - the ultimate modelling sin) that I would then have to laboriously cut into quads with the knife tool, which is not an efficient use of time. Creating a 'patch' from the plane did nearly all the work for us in a few clicks...

Why didn´t you draw the bottom part on the level of the top part and later moved it down? (top part was already rotated)

Yep, I could equally have done that too, but then we'd have circular topology on the bottom where we don't need it - was trying to keep that bit as linear as possible, and wanted to show you the second way of making a quad patch !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • got it, thanks a lot!