Ive seen a carpet roll up tutorial using the bend deformer, something similar here on the cafe too I think.........Cant imagine if that would work for a winch.

maybe fake the winding part with a helix, and a sweep on a spline with dynamics for the pull out bit

Deck

If you just want it shortening then it could be as simple as a zeroed-out parametric helix spline in a sweep, where you just keyframe the length of the spline ! 

But I suspect we can do better...

If I had to guess at making it wind onto the barrel,  I think I'd make a helix that wrapped round the barrel, editable that, massively extend one end of it to give me the line coming off it, make my cable completely separately, then spline wrap it onto that first spline, using the spline-wrap's offset parameter to move it down the line, and the 'keep original length' option so it actually moves onto the barrel...

Wind_up.thumb.gif.4bd4ce24842de0f98e9368196082f3ad.gif

If you're after wire rope for this, then I recommend the old 'epicycloid in a sweep' trick to make that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Many thanks, gentlemen! I'll try the helix on the barrel but a simple image for the cable. The cable, separately made I assume by a loft on a spline? Then "spline wrap it onto that first spline" seems like performing the same function twice.

Win 7, 8 core PC with 12 Gb RAM 64 Bit

44 minutes ago, Anthony Owen said:

Many thanks, gentlemen! I'll try the helix on the barrel but a simple image for the cable. The cable, separately made I assume by a loft on a spline? Then "spline wrap it onto that first spline" seems like performing the same function twice.

Never make cabling out of lofts - that is a singularly unhelpful method for anything rope-like ! You definitely want a Sweep for that.

I don't think there's anything happening twice in that setup - I reckon we need every stage of it for it to work, but if you can prove me wrong I am happy to be corrected :)

CBR

6 minutes ago, Anthony Owen said:

I got my terminology wrong. Sweeping a circle on a spline is my intention. I think I understand your instructions now. So this sweep is applied after the edited spline is created?

Ah OK. Yes, make your sweep along a straight spline, then spline wrap the whole sweep along the helix spline that is wrapping the winch barrel. Here's a scene file which might be better than my explanations :)

Winch.c4d

CBR

You're welcome. If you want an alternative to making the rope with textures, this remains a really nice way of doing it with geo.

838418324_epicycloidrope.thumb.jpg.f2d60fe4164eb3eef586f53407696090.jpg

Winch Epicycloid.c4d

CBR

• Like 1