dayone

Indents in Mouse

Thank you so much cerbera I will have a go at the weekend.

You're welcome - good luck !

CBR

ok sooo got the first bit right but how the hek do I make the second bit?... I'm doing all this free style no books no tuts just me.

Any help much appreciated.. sorry I keep asking   

22 hours ago, dayone said:

how the hek do I make the second bit?

Select the border loop at the base of the top you already made, deselect the edges you don't need at the back / bottom of the model, then extrude that whole row of edges out from the main form once (to make the white rim bit) , then select that ring of new polys and choose split from the r-click menu to create the first poly row of the middle section. Don't forget to delete those polys from the original model - they don't automatically get deleted when you do the split...

Once you have that loop isolated in its own object, adjust its outside points to refine that rim, then extrude down another row to begin the side of the mouse, and carry on from there, using my topology pics earlier to help you place your additional polys and subtly change that edge flow so it goes round the back corner nicely...

If you struggle with that it might be a good idea to go back to that post where I showed you the base section, which contained a side view you could load as a viewport background for your model; then you could see pretty much exactly where each poly goes and line yours up over it...

When you start working with split objects like this the most important thing to watch out for is that you don't move any of the points at the seam lines, where the models join, although you can put them back using vertex snap if things go astray, it is better to take extra care not to move them in the first place ! That way you should retain perfect seams when you eventually add inner thickness. Btw, don't do that until you have all 3 sections perfect - far better to to be working on a single surface while are you are still refining forms...

CBR