Sign in to follow this  
daddycoull

Adding a vest to an already rigged model

My work bought some pre-rigged character models for c4d.  It seems all pretty straight forward, 

The issue I'm having is, I've attached a high viz vest to the model.  It's a child of the chest bone atm so when the character moves it sticks and moves with it. (all good so far).  The problem lies when I need to make the character shrug.  When the shoulders move up they cut through the vest (due to it not following them).

What's the best practice to fix this and make the geometry of the vest follow the shoulders?  I've looked at cloth tags and soft body, but my computer is a potato so the dynamics on such a high mesh model is causing it to die a small death!

Due to it being my works property and for a client I can't upload the model, but I can supply screenshots of the rig/model if needed. 

Thanks

Why not bind the vest mesh to your rig? If I understood correctly you just parented it to one of the joints and therefore it won't be deformed when your rig is animated. 

Yes, as already mentioned. Binding and re adjusting the weights is the answer.

Would the Surface Deformer work here? I remember a Vertex Pusher tutorial showing the rigged Flabio (from the content browser) and he put a shirt on him with the Surface Deformer.

• Topic Author
  • Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions,

I actually found this: 

I thought it might be applicable to what I'm trying to achieve and it worked!

This is what I did.

Inside a Null I placed my vest and a skin object, I then made the Null a child of the Chest bone.  Then on the vest I added a weight tag.  I double clicked on the weight tag and under the joints tab I dragged in the chest, L_shoulder and R_shoulder bones.  Then under the options tab I then painted the weight for each bone.  Happy days!

18 hours ago, digitvisions said:

Binding and re adjusting the weights

Yep, just as i said. ;)