• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Tinkertoy

Select faces at regular intervals?

I'm trying to select faces in groups of 10x38 with a spacing of 10 faces in between each group as you see in the image. I want to do this all around the inside of the sphere. Is there any easier way to accomplish this than to manually select each face?

Capture.JPG

Hello, John.

I don't have my CINEMA with me... but I'll give you some ideas, you can try those, to see if some can fit:

A - you can try the loop Selection (U-L shortcut) 10 times each with the shift pressed. 

B - With the move tool, double click to select one row at a time, 10 with shift pressed.

C - The easiest (if possible in your mesh): in the side view, if your mesh isn't plane as it seems not, with the select tool TOOLLIVESELECTION.png.f6674330f496169001b21c981af9d369.png, select "Only Select Visible Elements" and select 10 rows... or get the live selection bigger and select 10 rows with one click.

Finally you can set a selection for later use. With the polygons selected -> Set Selection in the select menu.

I hope it can help you...! 

Cheers.

João Marco

It's all good advice, but you could save yourself the bother, and just go download this ;)

Selections Suppletives, nice and free from CodeVonc.

However I suspect that lack of inbuilt selection options is not the root of the problem here. We could ask OP why he is working with geometry that dense when he is still modelling ? It would all be 100 times easier if he was working on a low poly base mesh ! In that case, he would only have to click once to select what is 10 polys now.

CBR

Great Plugin - Houdini like.

Yes, selecting in a previous fase it's much much simplier. But we don't know why. Maybe that was not possible.

João Marco

• Topic Author
  • But if I'm starting with a low-poly model how am I going to end up with a high-poly model in the end?

I started 3D modeling many years ago with Carrara and a little Lightwave and I learned real quick that I was setting myself up for disaster down the road if I didn't start with enough subdivisions, as everything would look blocky instead of smooth. Did I miss something along the way where it became easy to go from low-poly to high-poly with a few clicks? LOL If so man I wish I'd have known about that sooner!

Oh and thanks for the plugin link. Will try that.

What is your reference image? The smoothness is one of the last steps.

• Topic Author
  • no reference image, just stuff from my imagination. i'm really curious to how smoothness is one of the last steps. i would not know where to begin to smooth out a stretched torus like this one after doing everything else. i may just be working on really outdated info from my memory, haha, but I remember when I first started modeling back in I think the late 90s or so that you had to start with lots of subdivisions or else you'd end up with something really jagged looking. of course back then even a sphere at 64 subdivisions would give my old pentium II processor a hell of a time rendering, haha!

5 hours ago, Tinkertoy said:

But if I'm starting with a low-poly model how am I going to end up with a high-poly model in the end?

Subdivision Surface. It will take some getting used to, but there is info in the help files as well as many videos and tutorials online.

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Vizn said:

Subdivision Surface. It will take some getting used to, but there is info in the help files as well as many videos and tutorials online.

wow I remember just having to start with a high poly object or else you were kinda stuck. i mean there were manual ways to smooth things out but they were super time consuming often had there own problems. i've tinkered, no pun intended, with the subdivision surface thing but always figured it would create all kinds of mesh errors if applied to a complex finished object. the old 3D software used to have smoothing modifiers and such but they would make a royal mess out of your model if you were anywhere near the completed stage and were only really intended for use on fairly simple objects.

i will go right now and try making the same object that I just did (a ring) and doing what I want to do first then apply the subD and see what I get

• Topic Author
  • well, that's pretty impressive! I remember trying to smooth stuff after the fact back in the day and it was horrible. sure this still isn't perfect since i still have to go manually select a bunch of those faces later on for texturing but still the fact that it can do it that well just by dropping it in there and adjusting a number is pretty impressive.

before and after images included!

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

You are lucky that Cinema is so tolerant of erroring geometry, which is why you are not getting shading errors despite allowing ngons (polys of more than 4 sides) and triangles (3 sided polys) in your mesh (see the corners of your indents). I would guess that these were created because you used the wrong metering mode whilst bevelling the edges of the indents - you needed to change that from Default to Uniform to avoid the ngons and triangles here. Instead, this could and should be built from 100% quads (4 sided regular polys) for most predictable subdivided result.

Here's a little pic that shows the difference between those 2 edge bevel mitering modes...

1460240964_bevelngons2.thumb.jpg.1d6348531250bb02ca33fe66955877d4.jpg

CBR