RichMed

Apply Plaster to Wound

You're welcome - do show us your final result when you get there !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Please see attached screenshot below, I am animating the plaster onto the wound with a bend deformer but the minute I apply the 'Collision Deformer' to push the impression of the foam through the dressing it does this...what am i doing or not doing, I am seriously stuck here.

1982648089_Screenshot2019-03-28at12_15_10.thumb.png.fe61f545a9a72f40c46afaed458329ec.png

In as much as I can see without the scene file I would say that your collision deformer probably has wrong mode settings and / or is in the wrong place in the hierarchy relative to the bend deformer...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Think I have cracked it but now got another issue which is starting to 'P' me right off. Im at the stage of animating the  application of the dressing over the wound with basic key frames, moving the dressing into position and using a bend deformer to give it a more realistic application...however, the minute i add my key frame to close off the animation it jumps back to the previous key frame.

All I want the dressing to do, is position itself so the black foam falls directly in the middle of the dressing I am trying to apply.

I can't attach my file, its 8.5mb and I'm only allowed to upload 1.9mb, is there another way to share with you what i have done?

And this is the first ever piece of animation I have ever done in C4D or anywhere for that matter, i've just had to google tutorials to learn.

If files are too big to upload direct to the cafe, then you can either Zip them to make them less, or just use Dropbox etc, and then link that here instead.

CBR

Man, there is a lot wrong with this file....

Most of the problem is just because of badly made geometry. For example, take the pad thing, which has 4 massive ngons, and drastically uneven topology that is likely to confuse the Collision Deformer.

1985051171_ProblemGeo2.jpg.67a2175d3cba7e9b1a351c93ab239ec7.jpg

Then we have an issue with the thing you are trying to deform as well - because this hasn't been modelled properly it's full of gaps along the edges, non-coincident points and triangles, and again, the Collision Deformer doesn't know what to do with it and is getting confused.

1838305558_problemGeo1.jpg.6e1833eed50c723b36da36a99ae10653.jpg

Lastly (so far) you had a whole load of positional keyframes on the Collision Deformer of all things ! That shouldn't move.

There is also some hierarchy confusion happening with what deformers are applied where, and to how many things, so all these things need looking at too before we have a stable setup.

I suspect there are additional problems I haven't found yet, but I have to go out now, so hopefully you have enough to be getting on with fixing the ones I have...

Also, we should note that the Collision Deformer is designed primarily for single surfaces to deform, and has never done well with surfaces that have a very thin level of thickness to them like this does. It may be that even when you fix this geo the lower surface will always jump underneath the collider when the top surface is close enough to collide with the the top of it. In that case you'd either have to lose the thickness from that part, or keep that and use a pose morph instead to do the bulging as it lands, morphing in Points Mode. 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Man, there is a lot wrong with this file....

Most of the problem is just because of badly made geometry. For example, take the pad thing, which has 4 massive ngons, and drastically uneven topology that is likely to confuse the Collision Deformer.

1985051171_ProblemGeo2.jpg.67a2175d3cba7e9b1a351c93ab239ec7.jpg

Then we have an issue with the thing you are trying to deform as well - because this hasn't been modelled properly it's full of gaps along the edges, non-coincident points and triangles, and again, the Collision Deformer doesn't know what to do with it and is getting confused.

1838305558_problemGeo1.jpg.6e1833eed50c723b36da36a99ae10653.jpg

Lastly (so far) you had a whole load of positional keyframes on the Collision Deformer of all things ! That shouldn't move.

I suspect there are additional problems I haven't found yet, but I have to go out now, so hopefully you have enough to be getting on with fixing the ones I have...

CBR

I did warn you I'm a noob and it appears I have over committed with this project, I really don't know where to start, its taken almost 4 weeks of blood, sweet  and tears to get to this stage... to put it mildly.

16 minutes ago, RichMed said:

I did warn you I'm a noob and it appears I have over committed with this project, I really don't know where to start, its taken almost 4 weeks of blood, sweet  and tears to get to this stage... to put it mildly.

Yes, this does rather serve as a warning to new users about the dangers of taking on commercial work when their skills are not yet sufficient. I learned for 5 years before I went commercial for example, until my skills were competent or better in enough areas of the program that I could solve most problems in most areas.

It's also kind of unfair to take on paid work without the skills and then to expect cafe members to give you the answers on a deadline basis, using phrases like URGENT HELP etc especially if you are not sharing any of the cash for the job. When you undertake paid 3D work, you are selling YOUR SKILLS in the software, and if you don't have them, or enough of them, you are selling smoke at the end of the day, which leads to broken deadlines, angry clients, low quality of work, massive pressure for you, and having to rely on help from others to get you through, which is never good.

You are not alone in finding this out - every year tons of people try and run before they can walk, and some will fall over / learn the hard way.
    Sometimes the cafe can rescue them in time, sometimes we can't...

Perhaps you need a 3D mentor / advisor at this stage, someone who can fix or otherwise address the problems you will run into, and can be on hand to help when it is required. I offer that service for example, but I do charge £60 an hour for it. please do PM me if you'd like to arrange something.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, this does rather serve as a warning to new users about the dangers of taking on commercial work when their skills are not yet sufficient. I learned for 5 years before I went commercial for example, until my skills were sufficient in enough areas of the program that I could solve most problems in most areas.

It's also kind of unfair to take on paid work without the skills and then to expect cafe members to give you the answers on a deadline basis, using phrases like URGENT HELP etc especially if you are not sharing any of the cash for the job. When you undertake paid 3D work, you are selling YOUR SKILLS in the software, and if you don't have them, or enough of them, you are selling smoke at the end of the day, which leads to broken deadlines, angry clients, low quality of work, massive pressure for you, and having to rely on help from others to get you through, which is never good.

You are not alone in finding this out - every years tons of people run before they can walk and learn the hard way. Sometimes the cafe can rescue them in time, sometimes we can't...

Perhaps you need a 3D mentor at this stage, someone who can address the problems you will run into, and can be on hand to help when it is required. I offer that service for example, but I do charge £60 an hour for it. please do PM me if you'd like to arrange something.

CBR

I apologise for my posts, I work in-house for a US based company and have 20+ years experience with graphic design and i volunteered to learn 3D as i was excited to learn and do something new. In theory I won't get paid for this job but obviously i am on a salary so I guess i get paid for my skills, or in this case, lack of.

I have undertaken 2 training courses and produced some static 3D's, probably not perfect but if I don't commit, i wont learn. But my normal 9-5 is doing graphic design with long periods of no 3D so whatever I have learnt, gets lost.

I do not mean to take the 'P' or abuse the cafe or take advantage of anyone especially yourself as you have provided no end of support and for free, it is truly gratefully received.

I will PM you about a 3D mentor, I may work in a company that has over 5,000 staff, but I am the only one who has any knowledge of 3D and as you are finding, that isn't a lot.

Ah Ok, that's a slightly different situation, and one in which a lot of people find themselves :) There's certainly no shame in wanting to learn something new, and volunteering to do so within a company is a great idea, with the proviso that you successfully get across to them that it will take you (and anybody) a little time to learn before you get really 'useful' in it, if you see what I mean :)

Please don't take my previous comments as being aimed directly at you, it's just such a good example of how many problems you and all new guys are likely to encounter as soon as Big Project 1 !

Always happy to help if I can...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ah Ok, that's a slightly different situation, and one in which a lot of people find themselves :) There's certainly no shame in wanting to learn something new, and volunteering to do so within a company is a great idea, with the proviso that you successfully get across to them that it will take you (and anybody) a little time to learn before you get really 'useful' in it, if you see what I mean :)

Please don't take my previous comments as being aimed directly at you, it's just such a good example of how many problems you and all new guys are likely to encounter as soon as Big Project 1 !

Always happy to help if I can...

CBR

I just tried to PM you but it won't let me, it says "Cerbera cannot receive messages".