RichMed

Apply Plaster to Wound

I need advice/help to work out how to apply a dressing/plaster to part of the human body to cover a wound. Please see attached screenshot (ignore the text).

Do I create my plaster then apply a cloth tag or a bend deformer or something else? I need to have it animated so it will start at the top of the screen and be applied once, then removed and re-applied. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Picture1.png

I think have done almost exactly this for a client a few years back :)

In that case I simply animated the plaster:

1. Moving up and down.

2. With a bend deformer to roll it onto the limb

3. Also had to keyframe plaster rotation a bit to make that work

But overall, should be fairly quick and painless...

One thing to note would be to make your plaster out of even, relatively dense all-quad topology, that way it will respond to the bend deformer nicely.

Oh, and because an arm (is that what that is ?) isn't flat, you need to have already deformed (or modelled) your plaster so that it already conforms to one direction of curve across the arm, if you see what I mean. I do this usually with 2 opposing additional bend deformers , affecting half the mesh each. You could also animate those, so that the plaster falls mostly flat, then transitions to the confirming shape on the way down.

But if you want to do this with something more capable than bends / basic deformers to control the deformation of the plaster, then I'd use Pose Morph to get much the same effect but with point-level control, which may make it conform to the 'arm' much more naturally. If you are doing, that, ignore what I said about making the plaster overly dense - if you are using PM, then you want the minimum amount of points you can possibly get away with, and you can use SDS on top of that to regain your curves and smoothness.

CBR

• Like 2

Here's the sort of thing I meant. Because I'm rolling the plaster on in the direction of the 'arm's natural curve I can get away with just the 1 bend deformer here.

1924012708_plasteron.thumb.gif.80c65c46f5cf79dc03ee6fa4e37b0c22.gif

CBR

• Like 4

Thanks for that, thats kind of what i need to do. A couple of questions;

1. Are you able to share the .C4D file of the above (so i can pull it apart for my own needs)

2. The plaster will sit over a foam layer already in the wound like the attached image below, does that mean I would have to apply a cloth tag to the plaster too?

3. The plaster looks basically like a sheet of bubblewrap.

1160620340_Screenshot2019-03-12at11_14_45.png.91449e24416e53fef911651f0305db61.png

My deadline is the beginning of next week and I am starting to think i have 'over promised' what i can deliver!!!

Any help is as usual, gratefully received.

1. Even if I had saved it, that file won't help you much now, because if there is a lump we have to cover and deform to, then a bend alone almost certainly isn't the answer. I'd do this via PoseMorph in Points mode now I know that, and have seen the surface you need to conform...

2. No, cloth doesn't help you here, because it doesn't really move and deform like the plaster would. Additionally the Visualise version of Cinema (as it says in your profile) doesn't have it. Is the version in your profile correct ? If not pls update it.

3. Indeed, but with rather particular differences - these 'bubbles' are almost flat, and react to light in a very particular way - an interesting challenge indeed ! Because it is transparent, your plaster will require real world thickness to look correct in the render, so bear that in mind... also - we need to know if the underside flat, or does that have the bumps too ? And it would be helpful to see the corners of that plaster, or at least to know how sharp or curved the corners are...

How good are your poly modelling skills ? If your skills are up to it, then I'd speculate that the very best results (especially for close-up camera)  would be to model it properly out of polygons. This would involve disc (ring) primitives and a Honeycomb Cloner in the first instance, and you'd start flat initially, modelling one bump and its surrounding frame to give yourself the right thing to clone. You need VERY even polygon distribution here, all quads and no complex poles. When you have the finished plaster built flat, then you would move it into place and deform it over the 'lump', (FFD probably most helpful here), which would then become the first Pose in your Pose Morph setup...

Or if you are not up to modelling that, then you'll have to try it with textures, in which case the Circles 2 Mode of the Tile Shader is going to come in very handy...

You'll have to experiment with which channel you put that in - Bump might be enough, Normal  (via Normalizer) is the next channel to try if that isn't good enough, and if that fails, sub poly displacement is your last recourse (again, only in Studio Version). But if you can use textures then your underlying geometry can be very simple as long as you keep they polygons very evenly spaced so that they respond to deformation correctly. Looking at your reference, which has a very defined bump it might even be wise to base your topology around that from the start so that you guarantee it can fit very tightly over the lump with no surface artefacts...

I would use Pose Morph just for the deformation between 'lump-conforming' and flat, and then handle any bending and positional animation with a parent Null.

CBR

Whoa!

I think my brain is about to explode! Sorry about not updating my profile, i have Studio R20 now, just need the knowledge to use it to its potential!!!

My modelling skills are very very basic, I am googling now some of the terms you used for tutorials, just glad I got my deadline extended.

In simple terms, are you saying model the plaster from scratch and to get the bubblewrap 'bubbles' use a cloner to get the desired effect of multiple bubbles? The back of the plaster is flat so just the top surface needs the bubbles pushing through. So if i created all my bubbles, how do i then attach them to, for example, a rectangle plane to form the complete dressing?

Sorry for being such a noob here, maybe the day i retire I will finally understand C4D.

1 hour ago, RichMed said:

Whoa!

I think my brain is about to explode! Sorry about not updating my profile, i have Studio R20 now, just need the knowledge to use it to its potential!!!

Lols - thanks for updating it - now we know what tools you have at your disposal !

My modelling skills are very very basic, I am googling now some of the terms you used for tutorials, just glad I got my deadline extended.

Ok, probably best to do the bubbles with textures then. That should be a viable way also.

In simple terms, are you saying model the plaster from scratch and to get the bubblewrap 'bubbles' use a cloner to get the desired effect of multiple bubbles?

The back of the plaster is flat so just the top surface needs the bubbles pushing through. So if i created all my bubbles, how do i then attach them to, for example, a rectangle plane to form the complete dressing?

Sorry for being such a noob here, maybe the day i retire I will finally understand C4D.

In simple terms, yes, I was saying model the whole thing, including the bits with bubbles, but tbh if your modelling skills aren't up to it you'll lose hours trying, so probably best to go the texture route instead....

I could be even more helpful if I had a photo of the whole object ;)

CBR

Basically the animation is this;

1. Remove edge strips from two sides of dressing
  2. Zoom into dressing to get detailed view of the bubble structure
  3. Zoom out
  4. Move down over a wound and place over wound
  5. Peel back one corner halfway and reapply

There is text to overlay but we have AE guy who's going to do that. It doesn't sound much but i haven't done any animation.

Image wise, the dressing is top secret so i have to be careful what i post etc but in simple terms, it looks like a rectangle piece of bubble wrap 21cmx25cm.

The zoom in part is also quite baffling me, when i make the dressing, i have to make sure teh texture or how ever i build it, is high enough res to allow this.

You can see in this pic below that the bubbles have a kind of lattice pattern inside them;

316854582_Screenshot2019-03-12at17_04_16.thumb.png.c6d2ea65c135a7850c7bdc2a15e10f6a.png

5 minutes ago, RichMed said:

You can see in this pic below that the bubbles have a kind of lattice pattern inside them;

Ok that rules out modelling then ! You will need to make that texture in photoshop.

On the plus side I just did some initial tests, and bump does work totally fine for this, and transparency works as we'd hope...

Gotta run out now, but may have time to come back to this later...

CBR

• Like 1

Photoshop, i know how to use that ; )

I'm impressed and very grateful for your help and support. I'll fire up Photoshop tomorrow and try and nail down this lattice texture. I reckon a normal semi transparent plastic texture will work too but may make it less transparent so you can actually see the dressing.

• Namaste 1

Yes I agree - in my tests I found 80% transparency and 40% transparency blurriness worked well, with just 10% Bump strength.

When you make your lattice texture you need to make 2 maps - one with white dots on a black background, which will give you the main raised bumps, and then another one containing the circle outlines and lattices that you should Screen or Add it over back in Cinema within a layer shader in your bump channel...

That way you can vary the height of the bumps and the texture separately by just varying the amounts of each layer in the texture, if that makes sense...

CBR

• Like 1

Brilliant, finally i get all that, I know where you are coming from now. I'll have a go tomorrow so watch this space, fingers crossed I get it cracked. Thanks again.