Sign in to follow this  
Bolos

Sculpt displacement to Redshift problem

Hello, I'm hitting the wall on a simple sculpted mesh that I'd like to render with Redshift. Sorry if this has already been discussed but all I could find was Everfresh's topic about vector displacement.

I also had a look on Redshift forums and found a video explaining the process from Adrian, but I think the problem lies within my baked displacement map. When I try the settings suggested (Intensity centered), the baked mesh doesn't even render as expected in the native renderer. The only displacement types that seem to work natively are the RGB ones. But then, of course, they don't work with Redshift.

Any ideas ?

I can send the project file if anyone's interested to help (I'd like to not post my files publicly).

if your sculpt is not only using one direction you have to bake out an rgb tangent map, a simple b&w height map is just capable of displacing your geo in one direction only. the problem is that the rgb maps c4d spits out is going to give you correct results with the c4d renderers, but not with redshift. i posted that issue on the redshift forums, adrian also tried it with arnold and said it gives him the same issues as within redshift. my guess is that tangent maps within c4d work somewhat different and thus give faulty results in 3rd party engines. because if you load example maps from the web into redshift, they work as expected. maps baked from c4d sculpts just seem to store the information somewhat differently. i'm almost sure you could fix those issues with some colour correction to the maps, but that would be a little bit of a blind flight if you don't know exactly what your doing.

I've also have the same problem. I posted my problem at redshift forums (https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/23965/) but I did'nt find an answer except to maybe use vector displacement.

@everfresh does vector displacement work better than using height displacement in redshift c4d?

1 hour ago, Frokito said:

I've also have the same problem. I posted my problem at redshift forums (https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/23965/) but I did'nt find an answer except to maybe use vector displacement.

@everfresh does vector displacement work better than using height displacement in redshift c4d?

the problem is more the other way around. height maps work perfectly (with a little fiddling of the min max values in rs displacement node), but vector displacement doesn't work. at least not with maps generated from c4d sculpts. i don't know about z-brush though. but height maps generated from c4d sculpts do work. can you check if vector maps baked from z-brush work as expected?

It did not work for me :(

Thanks for the help. I fiddled with the baking options and the RS Displacement Node but I didn't managed to get anything to work either though.

Finally managed to get it right!

For those interested, here are my settings :

Bake Sculpt options :

- .tif / RGB (XYZ Object) + Round Geometry

Redshift Displacement node settings in the screenshot.

I also pumped the RS Object tag Displacement scale to 2.

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 14.15.30.png

awesome!!! i'll have to check that at some point in the future. at what colour depth did you bake? 8, 16 or 32 bit?

edit: have you also tried how it behaves with more complex displacement that's not going only in one direction? with overlaps and stuff?

I baked that at 32 bits 8K for a nice little 800 MO texture lol.

Didn't tried more complex displacement though, but I think I'll try that later since that might be really helpful to create morphings I guess.

Edit : 8K instead of 4K