kkamin

Trees with Animated Leaves

Anyone have an idea how to get the effect of a tree with leaves that blow in the wind? I don't see anything great on Turbo Squid. Is there some magic vudu way to do a cheat with one of the stock trees that comes with Cinema?

That's a yes. I believe these are the leaves you are looking for... hair and Ion Oprea (via Lester Banks) to the rescue !

Probably mute audio on that one, nobody likes the sound of clipping :)

CBR

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That's a yes. I believe these are the leaves you are looking for... hair and Ion Oprea (via Lester Banks) to the rescue !

Probably mute audio on that one, nobody likes the sound of clipping :)

CBR

That's the one I was thinking of too! 

I like both techniques and wonder why they couldn't be combined.  While the Lester Banks video was easy to follow (as well as just brilliant) the first one minute tutorial required you to be super quick with the pause button to unpack all the steps.  To help, here is what I as able to discern from multiple views in the first video:

Tree Deformation (first video): 

1) Set up a spline that matches the main trunk and subdivide it appropriately.

2) Set up a hair object converted from that spline

3) Link that hair object to some planar object (a disk in this video) placed at the base of the tree. 

4) Set the hair object to generate squares --- I would imagine that this step somehow allows the geometry of the tree to be linked to the hair object performed in steps 6 and 7.  Not sure.

5) Select the hair object and go to the simulate tab in the C4D main menu and select "Set roots".  Now because the planar object was linked to the hair object in Step 3, that planar object now becomes the "root" of the hair object.  Again, not sure.

6) Bring in a mesh deformer and make it a child of the parent tree object.

7) Drag the hair object into the object window of the mesh deformer.  Set the external mode to "surface" and press initialize.

8) Go to the hair object's Dynamic's tab and set Rest Hold to 50%

9) You now have the tree model to be impacted by hair dynamics.  Grab the planar object created in Step 3 and the tree will react appropriately.  Add wind and the tree bends (but the leaves do not move -- for this go to the second tutorial.

At this point, you can do some pretty neat things with the tree that even plugins like Forester cannot do.  While Forester can simulate wind blowing the leaves and branches around, physically moving the tree around has no dynamic impact on the tree.   This technique allows you to simulate a tree being cut or knocked down.  Or something big (like a truck) crashing into the tree.   For those who are truly gifted with X-particles (which means "not me"), imagine using the multi-physics capabilities of X-Particles to impact the tree dynamics.   Could particle Advection be used to the drive the base hair spline on those trees?  Couple that with the X-Particles grain solver and could it be possible to have an avalanche tear through a forest pretty realistically?      Or have the leaves on the tree generate static particles which are then advected by the fluid simulation of an explosion while the tree reacts dynamically.  The effect I am thinking of would match those 1950 videos of nuclear bomb shock wave ripping through a winter forest in slow motion (as seen here at 18 seconds in)

I feel that this can be done because X-particles is so well integrated with C4D --- but not sure.  I would hope Mario Tran Phuc reads this thread and is challenged by the concept.  If anyone could do it, it would be him.  That guy never ceases to inspire.

I also hope that full dynamic capability is added in Forester 2,  but they are too busy with Rock Engine - a pretty cool landscape generator for C4D - so don't hold your breath.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Namaste 1

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Oh WOW! Thanks, everyone. I didn't expect there to be such graceful solutions. Super cool.

23 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

but they are too busy with Rock Engine - a pretty cool landscape generator for C4D

That does sound exciting - I've been hoping someone would do one of those for Cinema for ages - as passable as our landscape primitive is, it would be lovely to be able to add layers and weathering and erosion and rubble distribution and all that good landscape-specific stuff....

CBR

18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

That does sound exciting - I've been hoping someone would do one of those for Cinema for ages - as passable as our landscape primitive is, it would be lovely to be able to add layers and weathering and erosion and rubble distribution and all that good landscape-specific stuff....

CBR

Yes, it is.  You need to see examples at their Facebook page found here.  Scroll down a bit as a new RDT collection on forest textures (showcased via an awesome animation made with Forester) is at the top of the page.

I used to use Vue xStream and as much as I loved that program, using it within C4D was always painful.  Viewport performance was painful and rendering was even worse when used within C4D.  Vue by itself was okay, but importing/exporting geometry between C4D and Vue to get around the poor integration found in xStream was just pitiful.  But what really killed my support was that e-on lost their way a bit with their acquisition by Bentley and their whole site got hacked so overall support and development pretty much got sidelined between 2016 and 2018.  In that period, Terragen won the market from them.  But as for me, I decided to leave Vue xStream which is what happens when you get nothing for your maintenance subscription --- something which we take for granted from MAXON...every year, you get an upgrade.

Forester partially filled that void left by Vue with tree creation and plant population and Rock Engine further fills that void with landscape generation.  Using Forester within C4D is super easy.  Overall, the program is well integrated.  I would hope the same is true with Rock Engine.  One thing which Vue did do rather spectacularly is their spectral atmospheres...move the sun and the sky/cloud lighting changes appropriately.    A good HDRI map can fill that void, but should 3D Quakers have a custom sky/cloud  generation plugin also on their development map, then I would say they would offer a pretty good competitive solution in the landscape content creation market.

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

You need to see examples at their Facebook page

Oh that is so cool :) Love their 2K terrain ! I can almost feel the cash falling out of my wallet...

10 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

One thing which Vue did do rather spectacularly is their spectral atmospheres...move the sun and the sky/cloud lighting changes appropriately. 

Indeed. I think Terragen has an even more complex and real-world-calculated spectral clouds / atmosphere scattering thing going on too, which, as I gather, is quite a lot of what makes its renderings so ridiculously photo-real. I wonder if it is too much to hope that eventually MAXON might re-write / update  Physical Sky to incorporate this somehow. Then, between it, Forester and Rock Engine we'd pretty much have the complete set of Terragen-like powers in Cinema ! :)

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Oh that is so cool :) Love their 2K terrain ! I can almost feel the cash falling out of my wallet...

Indeed. I think Terragen has an even more complex and real-world-calculated spectral clouds / atmosphere scattering thing going on too, which, as I gather, is quite a lot of what makes its renderings so ridiculously photo-real. I wonder if it is too much to hope that eventually MAXON might re-write / update  Physical Sky to incorporate this somehow. Then, between it, Forester and Rock Engine we'd pretty much have the complete set Terragen-like powers in Cinema ! :)

Yes....the sky and cloud generation capabilities are impressive in Terragen….but then again, they always have been.  It is what put Terragen on the map just like trees and ecosystems put Vue on the map.  Long ago, I used the free version of Terragen and a 6 orthogonal camera set-up along with a free package called "Projection" to create custom spherical maps based on Terragen's sky/cloud capability. 

As for that capability from MAXON via an update to their sky/cloud tools, not so sure.  I think MAXON purchased that capability from a generic developer for use in architectural visualization programs...as such, not that photo real (or at least not without a huge amount of effort).  There are some white papers out their on spectral atmosphere generation and there was even a C4D plugin that could create that same lighting effect in C4D (eg. golden sunsets, etc) but it did not integrate those light effects on clouds with god-rays, etc that you find in Terragen and Vue.   So the math/science on how to do it is out there.  Maybe it is on MAXON's development timeline but I would probably not bet on it.  If 3D Quakers does not pursue it, then our next best hope is some 3rd party rendering solution.  I think (if memory serves) Octane has a pretty good solution for spectral atmospheric lighting....not sure.

Dave