mikoian

External GPU - what is the best?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P70 (Intel Xeon, two SSD drives, two normal drives, 32 GB ECC RAM).

I also have a Nvidia Quadro M3000M graphic card with 4 GB dedicated memory.

I am seeing the difference between simulating a Turbulence FD scene using the CPU vs using the GPU. And the GPU is way faster.

The thing is that the scene becomes bigger with every simulated frame and when it hits the 4GB memory limits simulation stops and I have to use the CPU.

I was thinking to use an external GPU (maybe Quadro or something else from Nvidia) because I also have Thunderbolt 3 ports on my laptop.

Do you have experience with external GPUs? Which would be the best for Cinema 4D (and 3D rendering/simulation in general)?

Is it also possible to use the GPU from my laptop AND the external GPU together? Like a mini-rendering farm?

I have seen external enclosures for external video card and most of them should work with just about any video card so long as they have enough power and space to fit the card.  The PCI Express standard has been around for a while which means lot of cards work with pci express.

As for which card you should get I'd get an Nvidia RTX card of some kind.  The RTX cards have Tensor cores which allow a very specific operation used a lot in raytracing to happen 8x faster.  This means in many render engine the rendering will happen much faster on these cards if they are programed to use the Tensor cores.  In a beta of Octane for instance there is a 2.7x speedup when using the Tensor cores.  It's not 8x speedup because there is other things that need to be computed in additon to ray tracing.  For me 2.7x speedup is worth it.  I can't wait till Cycles and Redshift also starts to use the Tensor cores.

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, Fastbee said:

I have seen external enclosures for external video card and most of them should work with just about any video card so long as they have enough power and space to fit the card.  The PCI Express standard has been around for a while which means lot of cards work with pci express.

As for which card you should get I'd get an Nvidia RTX card of some kind.  The RTX cards have Tensor cores which allow a very specific operation used a lot in raytracing to happen 8x faster.  This means in many render engine the rendering will happen much faster on these cards if they are programed to use the Tensor cores.  In a beta of Octane for instance there is a 2.7x speedup when using the Tensor cores.  It's not 8x speedup because there is other things that need to be computed in additon to ray tracing.  For me 2.7x speedup is worth it.  I can't wait till Cycles and Redshift also starts to use the Tensor cores.

So, a GeForce RTX 2070 would be ok? (price about $450-$500)

And it seems it beats Quadro P4000 in many benchmarks (and this one is around $800).

4 hours ago, mikoian said:

So, a GeForce RTX 2070 would be ok? (price about $450-$500)

And it seems it beats Quadro P4000 in many benchmarks (and this one is around $800).

It should be.  Make sure to check with the enclosure you buy and read some stuff to make sure it will for sure work.  I'm also not sure how the external enclosure works with different programs.  I'd read a lot of stuff to make sure the enclosure will for sure work with c4d, turbulance, and whatever else you want to use.

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Fastbee said:

It should be.  Make sure to check with the enclosure you buy and read some stuff to make sure it will for sure work.  I'm also not sure how the external enclosure works with different programs.  I'd read a lot of stuff to make sure the enclosure will for sure work with c4d, turbulance, and whatever else you want to use.

I found two enclosures which may fit the bill: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-core-x and http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Fastbee said:

The first one says it can work with RTX so long as you use windows 10.

I do use Windows 10 :)