StageFive

Help With Wrap / Bend Modifier

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to C4d and still trying to learn my way around. I did an animation a few years ago similar to the one I'm working on now. It was done in Cheetah 3d though. I had the same problem in C3d that I'm having here. I have a curved sign that I need to be able to show various inserts being bent during removal and re-insertion. The biggest problems are maintaining the surface area of the part and being able to bend each side independently. Is there a way to make sure the part doesn't distort at all? Can I use a bend modifier with symmetry so I can bend each side independently?

I'm linking to the original video I did a few years ago. It's for a different sign product though. The new video will also utilize exploded view animation. Since C3d has a wrap modifier, but doesn't have any way to maintain the surface area. The wrap modifier couldn't be used with symmetry either. So I ended up using an animated spline that I extruded height-wise and gave some thickness to with a shell modifier. I used HotDoor CADTools to make sure the spline length always maintained the exact length I needed to keep in Illustrator, and then imported them. Very tedious method, but it worked for what I needed. I would definitely like some way to do this without having to do that again. C3d doesn't have a dope sheet either, so I had to literally write down on paper to try and sync keys with each other when I had to revise the animation a few times. 

This is a plan view of the product I'm now trying to match now (size doesn't matter, but the 215mm is the one I'm working on - 3rd from left). http://www.apcosigns.com/ispdf/is434.pdf 

The suction cup tool in the linked video was done with point animation. If anyone has any Mograph or other tips though that I can use on the suction cup this time around, I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Screen Shot.jpg

If you need independent control of each side, just use 2 bend deformers set up symmetrically so they cover half the mesh each... I use that all the time in modelling.

Or if you don't need the independence, use 1 that covers half the object, then Symmetry to get the other side like below...

SymmetriBend.gif.ed65b9d34ad6ff090029213e44d96a8d.gif

There is a tick button in the bend deformer called Keep Y-axis Length. Tick that to avoid stretching.

CBR

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply and info Cerbera! I'll give the bend deformer a shot then. I'll see about stacking some deformers to get what I need.