cormaction

Smoothing Object Issue

HI guys,

I'm coming from a SI/Maya background and just trying to achieve something similar in C4D. I want, say a sphere for example that has been fractured/cut up in some way where it has disconnected borders to smooth in a similar way to how Softimage or Maya would handle it.

So as you can see in Cinema, when I use a smooth modifier, it smooths it but it keeps the border vertices intact. I don't want this, I want them to pull away from each other and leave holes in the same way I can in the Softimage example. Is this possible in C4d or is there a plugin that can achieve this result? The Stretch option in Smooth sort of does this a little bit but not what I'm looking for.

To explain ,the effect I will be trying to achieve is sort of a burst balloon which I will simulate with cloth but the pieces have to magically shrink and disappear very quickly. I would achieve this in Softimage by applying a smooth in softimage and using it to shrink the polygon islands to nearly nothing.

Thanks a million.

Smooth_C4D.JPG

Smooth_Softimage.JPG

That smooth deformer is the only thing of its type we have in Cinema currently, so if that doesn't do what you want, I am not sure what else will. But I do wonder if you couldn't use softbody dynamics instead of cloth to achieve what you are looking for - that contains a parameter that can make a softbody shrink, but not sure how that would react to a mesh without continuous borders and such unevenly triangulated topology.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • It's a fairly straight forward scene to be honest, just a sphere with Voronoi fracture and baked to single object. 
    I have found a way around it in regards to the simulation by animating the scale parameter on the cloth so it shrinks the pieces over time.

I am still interested however in the smoothing issue and if the same type of smoothing as softimage is possible in cinema. I've attatched the scene anyway.

Thanks for looking! I'm on R20 btw

SmoothingTest_01.c4d

1 minute ago, cormaction said:

I'm on R20 btw

Please update that in your cafe profile...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Updated Cebera thanks.

Thanks for the softbody tip. Managed something similar with the cloth and using the vertex map of the edges created by the fracture + growing that over time with fields piped into the opacity channel in Redshift so it shrinks to nothing.

Perhaps someday there will be a tickbox for merging borders in the smooth modifier! It can be quite a handy effect.

• Namaste 1

Maybe I am missing something, but can't you use offset fragments in Voronoi? That scales pieces down and you can have just the outer layer of the mesh?

You can even use MoGraph selection and push apart

Scale_island.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • 19 hours ago, teknow said:

Are you demonstrating a cell lysis effect?

Hi teknow, I'm not familiar with that term unfortunately!

15 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Maybe I am missing something, but can't you use offset fragments in Voronoi? That scales pieces down and you can have just the outer layer of the mesh?

You can even use MoGraph selection and push apart

Scale_island.c4d 470.41 kB · 1 download

I hear ya! It's a spherical balloon type object popping so it is driven by cloth that collides with a floor plane. I was just using voronoi to break it up beforehand. I would have used the "tear" function on the cloth itself but because the point number changes when you do that on the geometry I don't get the motion blur rendering correctly.

Thanks for the demo scene, I'm new in cinema, wasn't aware of the push apart effector being used to scale pieces, very useful in future!