mihaita

1st Character how i start?

Hello everyone, i've created my first character in c4d and now i'd like to rig it in order to make some poses for my renders but i have some doubts on this!

1) the hierarchy of the body and clothes, obviously i want the clothes to fit my character so do i have to use a certain kind of hierarchy?

2) all my objects has to be editable?

3) could someone suggest me a way to rig my character? i've never done that and the tuts i've followed are not good at explaining! 

i'll leave here a image of my character in order to let u understand what i mean!

Thank u in advance:lol:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Cerbera
Removed incorrect tags

The first step to rigging is to make sure your topology is suitable. We can't see yours in that screenshot - can you post a version with the lines showing ?

Also please update your profile to the correct version ! Cheers.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The first step to rigging is to make sure your topology is suitable. We can't see yours in that screenshot - can you post a version with the lines showing ?

Also please update your profile to the correct version ! Cheers.

CBR

Thank u, hope i've made the right updates to my profile! here is my topology :) some things are made with Volume builder 

mesh2.PNG

27 minutes ago, mihaita said:

Thank u, hope i've made the right updates to my profile!

Thank you for trying, but no you haven't :) You have the Studio version, not Prime. Important differences there, so good to make sure it's correct.

In general your topology is way too dense for efficient animation, especially in the feet. Trying to weight geo of that density to Joints will be an extremely tedious process, so my recommendation for the modelling part of this is that you reduce that polygon count, which might mean starting some bits again. You should be using subdivision Surfaces to add smoothing and detail while your base mesh under it should contain the bare minimum of polys possible to adequately describe the form, except around the 'joint' areas where you need additional loops to support the deformation when the character is rigged.

Hope that helps... the rigging guys will be along in due course no doubt to tell you the rest of it !! :)

CBR

Look in the Content Browser. There are several characters in there. Find the mesh and turn off the Subdivision Object and you'll see this. Look how basic his geometry is except where he will bend. There are always a few extra loops and they are angled in a specific way to avoid stretching. Character work is quite complex and takes a while to get your head around it.

Now, if you have a character that won't bend, but moves more like a robot with hinges, the mesh isn't as important.

HeadphoneGuy.jpg