Sign in to follow this  
King of Snake

Falling marbles/gumballs form a logo...?

Hey guys, I've been asked if I can make an animation similar to this:

So marbles/gumballs falling into a (transparent) container, and then forming an image/logo at the end.
I have X particles but really haven't used it much at all. :)
Just made a very quick test but not sure yet how to progress. First problem seems to be I can't get the spheres to stop intersecting and bouncing around at the bottom.
Any X-particles experts here that could give me nudge in the right direction?

marbles test 01.c4d

I'd do that in reverse I think. Cloner with shader effector to get the balls doing the logo in final position, then start sucking them away with dynamic forces, with the intention of reversing the whole lot afterwards ? Might not need to get XP out at all !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yeah good idea, gonna give it a try :)

Hi, providing you get the simulation the way you want it. You can then bake the simulation without the colours, and when the balls filled the box again apply the pattern colours where you want them. 

You can do it with Mograph Selections used by colored Shader Effectors.

Your example was so cute I may have to do that one myself.

Shape Shader Dynamic 2.c4d.zip

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, providing you get the simulation the way you want it. You can then bake the simulation without the colours, and when the balls filled the box again apply the pattern colours where you want them. 

Thanks, I knew something like that would be possible. But getting the correct simulation will be step 1 :)

• Topic Author
  • The thing with using a cloner like that is that I can't really drop marbles continuously like I can from an emitter. It just generates a whole bunch of marbles and then drops them all at once (though I guess you could animate the count in the cloner, or have them drop through a funnel first :)).

I only have to Broadcast edition so no full dynamics, but with the modynamics and a regular emitter (see the attached file, on the left) I get a pretty good result (simulation wise). I just can't control the emission amount since that's not keyframeable for some bizarre reason.

If I try the same thing with X particles (on the right) of course I have more control but I can't really get the collisions happening the way I want them to. The basic c4d dynamics actually seem to give the result I want but with X particles the particles are intersecting a lot (even though I've increased the radius), they keep moving even at the bottom and it's just a bit messy overall. But I'm fully aware this might be user error :)
    Anyone got any suggestions for getting my X Particles sim to behave like the sim on the left?

marbles test 03.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Ok changing the subframe steps in the project settings made a big difference. Now I just would like it to be less bouncy overall. The whole structure is still bouncing a lot. The regular (mo)dynamics with built-in emitter still gives a slightly better result but with less control.

marbles test 04.c4d