I have a whole potato that needs to explode into french-fry fragments. I've got the potato part down, and I created a few different french fries and put them in a cloner so they are all touching. I have them all tagged as Rigid Bodies, so that when it starts animating they fly apart due to them intersecting. the problem I am having is that they fly apart too fast, and no matter how much gravity and wind resistance I add, they fly offscreen. I want a smaller, more controlled explosion, where they will fly maybe a yard out from their point of origin and drop downwards. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am in R14 (I know, I know) broadcast.

Thanks!

Yep - if your rigid bodies are touching at start of sim, that's very much an uncontrolled explosion ;) But there is stuff we can do...

Have you tried a Particle Friction Force ? - that can usually radically slow these things down. Don't forget to drag it into the forces list in the dynamics tag, and then to change the Mode to Include...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Yep - if your rigid bodies are touching at start of sim, that's very much an uncontrolled explosion ;) But there is stuff we can do...

Have you tried a Particle Friction Force ? - that can usually radically slow these things down. Don't forget to drag it into the forces list in the dynamics tag, and then to change the Mode to Include...

CBR

Thanks for this tip, but I am unfamiliar with Particle Friction Force and suspect it may be newer than R14. Either that or I just don't understand your advice, which is far more likely.

• Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, teknow said:

Here's a cool trick which might work for you (among many ways to do that):

274186507_Repelcopy.thumb.png.e54dc1f4f46908fd497b8b1ab7320d9a.png

Thanks, but this may not work for R14 as I cannot locate anything labeled Transform Space. Where would I find that? I've looked at all the cloner settings, and I used the search function, and came up with nothing.

• Topic Author
  • 46 minutes ago, teknow said:

Here's an example I just made. Does it work in R14?

Repel Effector.c4d.zip 47.53 kB · 0 downloads

Wow, thanks man! It does open up in C4D, but I am on another project now. I'll be back on the fries thing later tomorrow though, so I'll dig into it then. I'm surprised it even opened in R14. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks so much!