adamb

Using Field Layers for Vertex Maps

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a shaped graduated area using fields within a vertex map.

The attachment shows the layer order I've set up for now.

What I'm trying to achieve is a stacked shader effect, for this example, I'm using red on top of white, using the vertex map as an alpha.

I would like the red solid to the center and fade out towards the edge of the model.

The faded edge would fade out to a noise then be transparent to the edge.

So the base field is an object field ( a spline that's extruded).

The field on top is a random field set to a noise and the layer set to subtract

The field above is a box field to show how I would like the fade to soild, for this I've used the inner offset in the remapping tab.

I don't actually want a box shape, but I cannot seem to get the inner offset to work with the extruded shape object field.

I would like the fade to soild to be roughly the same shape as the extruded shape.

Bascially I'm trying to create a weathered effect with a vertex map for use in arnold.

The model will be a stylised island, white will be a rock/cliff shader and the red will be a grass/ground shader that breaks up close to the edge of the model on the top face, hence solid to noise to transparent.

The spline used in the object field is pretty simple at the moment, I intend to add more detail once I've got the method down.

Any help with this would really be appreciated, or if you think I'm approaching this wrong in any way, please let me know.

Cheers

A

Screen_Shot_2019-03-15_at_07_25_57.png