kkamin

Adding Wear and Tear/Adding Realism

This is a scene I'm working on and obviously everything is too perfect currently and it reads CGI scene. Please disregard the girl and dog, the aren't textured or lit yet or have shadows.

I need to add some roughening to edges, and smudges, scratches, weathering to surfaces, as well as tiny bits of refuse sprinkles around. Plus more I'm probably not thinking of.

Does anyone have some pointers for this or some good tutorials? I'll take any and all advice outside of my question too. Just want to make this as photorealistic as possible. The depth of field is going to stay deep but it makes sense to me since we were pretty far back from the talent during the shoot. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 12.07.06 AM.png

Basically, you just need to make either a material or a layer within an existing one that describes the inner surface of whatever you are trying to grungify, then use one of various methods to reveal that texture on the edges or where you want it to appear.

Those methods usually include alpha channels controlled by either scratch / dirt bitmaps, or Inverse AO, or Vertex Map / Levr noise combos. This has been discussed here a lot before, so search should help you out further...

That deals with inner surfaces, but you can of course do 'additive' damage as well, using things like dirt maps and maybe the weathering shader to add general filth and watermarks etc...

CBR

• Like 1

Is this still or animation? If the first, easier to find grunge /scratch texture and apply to your render in PS in blending mode screen/soft light.

I can always recommend matte painting tutorials of "getting things look older"

https://www.fxphd.com/details/422/

https://www.fxphd.com/details/552/

• Like 1

FVFX - 3D modelling | Shading | Lighting | Compositing

• Topic Author
  • This is an animation. Thanks for the links though, I do still work in CGI as well.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera,

What would be your go to solution for roughening up edges? Not just adding scratches but making the edges a little jagged at places?

If you want to roughen them up just via textures (which can go a surprisingly long way to make stuff look like it has physical dings even when it doesn't), then I go for the Inverse AO-Levr combo every time. But if I want to actually duff up the edges of something at the polygon level, then Voronoi Fracture is my best friend... that can do in seconds what would take hours of painstaking modelling to achieve...

The challenge using this method is to find fracture sources that most usefully approximate edge / corner damage, which isn't most of them ! I like this ingenious method using live hair guide painting as the source, but if you spend an afternoon playing with it you will doubtless find more...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you! Great idea on the fracture method. What does 'Levr' stand for?

• Topic Author
  • Oh, I figured it out. Thanks again, Cerbera!

You're welcome - happy Damaging ! :)

Oh - one more thing I should at least a give a shout out to... if you have R20, the volume builder can give some great results too in the damage department...

CBR

13 hours ago, kkamin said:

What does 'Levr' stand for?

I have no idea, and nor does Google apparently ! :) Maybe the name of the guy who first documented the noise type ? I do know it is pronounced Lev-ra, but that and its use in edge damage is pretty much the extent of my knowledge about it !

CBR