Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Buckland

Convert animated nurbs to polygons?

Hi, first time poster, new to C4D and having trouble with a project.

I have a file with about 100 sweep nurbs animating start and end, all with a repeaters and a step modifier. This is slowing down my viewport and renders drastically (about3-5mins per frame just to calculate the geometry) so i feel I need to convert all the objects to polygonal geometry.

I'm wondering how to convert animated sweep nurbs into polygonal objects with animation. I've tried a few techniques using the correction object without success. I can only seem to convert 1 frame at a time by grouping all sweeps and converting them with the connect object. this takes about 10 minutes per frame, but i'll have to animate using compositing tags.

Is there an easier way?

I've attached a screen shot of my project, let me know if you would like any more info, or the project file.

c4d01.jpg

Hi and :welcome:to the Cafe

You are probably looking to bake your objects in timeline by functions/bake objects, however it would be good if you can post a project file, I suspect you can resolve your troubles by using cloner

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

That is a heavy scene :)

You can actually reduce this and have the same result. All you need is one cloner, reduced spline and sweep values to get acceptable performance. Unfortunately I don't know what was your desired animation of the scene but now it performs well so I am sure you can adjust it

Circuits_reduced.c4d

• Topic Author
  • On 3/20/2019 at 9:00 PM, Hrvoje said:

That is a heavy scene :)

You can actually reduce this and have the same result. All you need is one cloner, reduced spline and sweep values to get acceptable performance. Unfortunately I don't know what was your desired animation of the scene but now it performs well so I am sure you can adjust it

Circuits_reduced.c4d 3.79 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks for attempting to resolve the issue :) I just checked the scene and the animation is completely different, I'll have a look into it when I have time and see what has happened. How did you reduce the project? did you use some form of automation?

No automation. I just used different approach and reduced the amount of data to get same setup. On the phone now so can't open scenes to tell you exactly what I changed...

• Topic Author
  • If you see the first image posted in this thread, you'll see a screen shot of the way the cube is meant to look. Also in the first project file i shared, I have converted the first few frames of animation to polygons. (tho this process took about 10 minutes per frame to computer)

The cloner has a step effector added to it that repeats the action of the sweep nurbs with a delay so I get a moving dashed lines effect. If i put all the sweeps into 1 cloner, the animation of the sweep acts as 1 continuous path. So i need 1 cloner per sweep (as far as i know) so the sweeps animate independently of each other.