Spencer Fanuka

Looking for structured way to learn C4D

Hello all, 

I have been using C4D for about 1 or 2 weeks now, and it is really hard to learn just jumping around from one tutorial to the next on youtube without any structure. What is the best way to learn C4D and in what order should I learn the various components of C4D. Also, what places do you guys recommend to learn C4D.

Thanks 

Hi

C4D is a 3d application that has many features and it is the case that it caters for many usages.  You don't have the learn the entire program unless your a generalist, but even generalists seem to have one area in which they are particularly good at.  At the heart of every 3d application is the modelling, so if you want somewhere to start its there, but it all comes down to what you want to get out of it, what was the reason you got C4D for?

CMI FX has courses, cinivercity has plenty of training, and greyscalegorilla has some content.   As to what path, that depends on what your end goal is?  Mine was content making so the first thing I did was learn modelling.  I found I liked organic modelling more, so I learnt sculpting.  From just these two areas you need to know Modeling, Uv mapping, texturing, surfacing, lighting, the hair system.  Now if you go character design route your also need to know some anatomy.  That's just an example of how one discipline leads to another.

As you have found its hard to learn even C4D if you have no goal or purpose.  C4D is very easy to learn compared to other similar apps, you just need to follow why you got C4D in the first place.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Hi

C4D is a 3d application that has many features and it is the case that it caters for many usages.  You don't have the learn the entire program unless your a generalist, but even generalists seem to have one area in which they are particularly good at.  At the heart of every 3d application is the modelling, so if you want somewhere to start its there, but it all comes down to what you want to get out of it, what was the reason you got C4D for?

CMI FX has courses, cinivercity has plenty of training, and greyscalegorilla has some content.   As to what path, that depends on what your end goal is?  Mine was content making so the first thing I did was learn modelling.  I found I liked organic modelling more, so I learnt sculpting.  From just these two areas you need to know Modeling, Uv mapping, texturing, surfacing, lighting, the hair system.  Now if you go character design route your also need to know some anatomy.  That's just an example of how one discipline leads to another.

As you have found its hard to learn even C4D if you have no goal or purpose.  C4D is very easy to learn compared to other similar apps, you just need to follow why you got C4D in the first place.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan!

I think my main passion resides with After Effects and video editing and such. I think the reason I got C4D was to integrate 3D into my videos. With that being said, should I still start out learning to model?

Thanks,

Spencer

1 minute ago, Spencer Fanuka said:

Thanks for the reply Dan!

I think my main passion resides with After Effects and video editing and such. I think the reason I got C4D was to integrate 3D into my videos. With that being said, should I still start out learning to model?

Thanks,

Spencer

What sort of thing are you doing in after effects, what kind of things would you like to add as 3d?  

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Rectro said:

What sort of thing are you doing in after effects, what kind of things would you like to add as 3d?  

I mainly edit videos (should be using premiere for this lol) and some simple motion graphics stuff. I think I would like to create some simple 3D scenes, models, animations and some motion graphics to go into my videos.

Cineversity, LinkedIn Learning, Pluralsight, FX Phd, and School of Motion. All of these have courses that will take you on some kind of focused learning path. I find the Google searched tutorials good for one-off things I need to learn, but isn't the best way to build up larger skill sets.

Also you don't need to know how to be a full-blown modeler to use Cinema 4D for motion graphics. You can get away with basic modeling and find a lot of things on stock sites. I head an animation and VFX team and hire a fair number of motion designer contractors. Over half cannot model. It's not a big deal in most cases.

Good luck!