Here's a 1950's Moderne-type sofa chassis I designed this afternoon.   It was all done using the R20 Volume Builder.    Basically a thick Torus primitive with various chunky shapes Subtracted from it.   A shape like this would've been a nightmare to model using just the old tools,  I think you'll agree.    But it was not too hard to do with Volumes.    I'm lovin' the buttery-smooth shapes you can make with the VB.      I'll have the rest of this room scene built in the next couple of days and will show it to you when I do.

---ras

chassis.thumb.PNG.edd008ba6f35448b5da040a6ffa40ca3.PNG

Art is mostly about liking things.---   Andy Warhol

I'd be very surprised if that cushion / seat bit is actually part of the mainframe, if you see what I mean - wouldn't make any sense to manufacture it that way...

I think I would have done those bits separately, which would have made SDS modelling it a breeze, but your point still stands - VB still does it a bit faster, removes the need for modelling skill entirely and is a worthy upgrade / alternative to that horrible boole tool, and if you don't need to further edit the result or use UV mapping, is very good for this sort of thing. Interested to see the rest of your room when you get there...

The trouble remains with the VB that it needs millions of polys to do what SDS could do in 1000 times less, so I'd be cautious about filling a whole scene with VB objects lest it becomes needlessly processor-heavy. Unfortunately although it does include the adaptive topology reduction option I find that in practice we pretty much lose our surface perfection as soon as that leaves 0% ! :/

CBR

I'll prolly go in and tweak some edges to make that cushion look separate...   :306:   usually with a finished VB model,  I'll run it through the Polygon Reduction process....    You're right,   some of the smooth perfection is lost that way,  but not too much of a problem if the model is not sharply focal in a complex scene...

Art is mostly about liking things.---   Andy Warhol