chrisjones

Any Z Brush users out there?

Hey guys,

Hope you are all well. Apologies if this is blasphemous on a Cinema forum, but do any of you guys use Z Brush? I am modelling a set of headphones, and I fancy trying to create the soft ear cup and headband parts in Cinema as basic models then use these simple shapes for my first foray into Z Brush, which I plan on getting on trial to do so. I've got a few tutorial vids etc but always helps to have real humans giving real world advice. Perhaps my main priority would be to have the genral gist of the workflow explained from an experience standpoint. I'm guessing I do whatever sculpting in Z Brush then import the mesh back into Cinema, but I don't know if I then just bake the normals and use those, or retopologise.

Just a general noob question really!

Thanks for your time

Chris

Hi

Im a avid Zbrush user since 2003, and no issues talking about pipeline tools in C4D forum we are a friendly bunch here.  Workflow wise here is how you  an go about it.

1: Model in C4D to get basic shape.

2:  Make good quality Uvs

3: export Obj  and bring it into Zbrush via  the tools/import menu.  Draw it out on the screen at press the T key to make sculpt ready.

4:  On panel to the right scroll down and expand the text menu Morph Target, and press store.  This will retain the original mesh prior subdividing it, very important.

5: Sub divide the mesh one level at a time Ctrl + D and if your planning to make larger volume changes dont sub divide up to more levels till you really need it, it avoids lumpy sculpting, but I guess in this case your just adding detail.

6: Make a layer, again from the right panel.  This will let you store your sculpting layers in which you can control the intensity of each layer of even delete it.

7: For a quick displacement or normal map you can make these from the right panel by opening the text menus but first do the following  Go to the morph target menu,  go down to lowest level Shift + D key, then press switch morph target button.  This restores the mesh to how it came in.  Then you can produce the normal and displacement map.  You can make the maps from any sub d level above the lowest to capture different levels of detail, level 1 is normaly the way you make them.  In the Uv menu you choose the size of the map, again in the right panel. you can go upto 8k..  if you have painted colour, then the texture menu is for generating the colour map but for that you need to be in the highest sub d level.

8: Multimap exporter plugin is another way to export all maps, this is found in the plugin menu.  Your best to click on the little radio button at the top which will dock that menu to the right or left panels for easy access.  Expand the multi map exporter plugin and from there you have the options to generate the colour, displacement and normal map with all the settings needed from there in the options menu.  This plugin is also where you make maps if your using a UDIM workflow.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, and if you need a more direct way to learn this I could make a quick video if Im up to it tomorrow.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • @Rectro

Thanks sooooo much for taking the time to craft a well thought out response, I really appreciate that. I will check out your fan art walkthrough later to get a general overview of the approach you take. And it's cool that there's a very good Z Brush artist who's brain I can pick on here too! I wish to utilise the application on a few things I have coming up.

You know that moment where you become aware of a particular application, and you haven't quite figured out yet how it will become a part of you armoury? I was exactly like this a number of years ago when I was wading through Andrew Kramer's After Effect tutorials on Video Copilot, and there were a number of tutorials that started to introduce the viewer to importing 3d objects, that then progressed onto a tutorial that actually made one to import. I had heard of Cinema 4D but hadn't the faintest idea exactly what it could be used for. And then I discovered Behance, and studied what people were making on there and after finally getting Cinema, and after a number of years, I get it. At the moment, with Z Brush, I know I will prefer to sculpt my surfaces, make maps of the surface to then use for my models. Right now I kind of don't quite get it, I'm just waiting for the penny to drop. Of the three – Cinema / Z Brush / Substance Painter – Z Brush is by far the least accessible in terms of UI and procedure.

Like I mentioned, I am going to use Z Brush to define the leather portions of the ear cups on the headphones. I think something as straightforward as this – simple base model, really generic topology etc – shouldn't pose to omanuy problems and also it will give me a gentle introduction to making the mesh a tool in Z Brush, utilising the subtool principles etc, and exporting and re-importing into Cinema.

Thanks once agin for your response, I'm sure I'll tap you up again in the future!

pioneer_dj_hdj_x10c_limited_edition_1453490.jpg