Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

PBR materials doesn't export well

For this model I am using PBR materials (it's a model I bought it from the Internet...it was made and textured in Blender - PBR - and I had to figure out how to PBR texture it in CInema 4D R19).

But when I export it as FBX or OBJ I get what you see in the first image. A translucent model. In the second image you see how it should look like.
When I exported I made sure to export the materials too...but seems I am not lucky.

How can I fix this? Thank you.

body.jpg

I think I don't exactly understand what you want to do. Do you want to export the model from Blender to C4D? In that case, exporting materials isn't going to get you very far. Normally when switching applications you have to redo the materials, sometimes you even need new textures but most of the time you can just reuse the ones you have.

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I think I don't exactly understand what you want to do. Do you want to export the model from Blender to C4D? In that case, exporting materials isn't going to get you very far. Normally when switching applications you have to redo the materials, sometimes you even need new textures but most of the time you can just reuse the ones you have.

I imported the model into C4D and re-did the materials. I managed to not use PBR materials either, just regular materials.

Now when I export from C4D (R19) to FBX format the model looks almost like I want (see the image below).

But when I export as OBJ not all materials are exported (not all channels: the Color Channel and Bump channel are exported but not Reflectance  channel - where I have the roughness and metallic texture - and Normal channel - where I have the normal texture...and I don't know why - those two channels would give a better look to the model).

obj-fbx1.jpg

What is the final destination software for this model ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

What is the final destination software for this model ?

CBR

I was trying to use the model here www.mixamo.com and they accept only FBX or OBJ (FBX is too big for them though).

Ah OK. Yep Obj is your best bet to get textures across if FBX is too big.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, mikoian said:

I was trying to use the model here www.mixamo.com and they accept only FBX or OBJ (FBX is too big for them though).

Now if I only know why those channels are not exported in OBJ :) ...and I used Riptide plugin which makes it easier to export an OBJ from C4D.