pilF

Tilting a Shopping Cart

I would like to have a shopping trolley tilt when it is pulled. You know those carts with just one axis and a high handle. I can get the wheels to behave but how do i make it tilt when parented to a hand and follow the Y motion of the hand with its pictch. Should it be an ik chain or is there a more simple solution? Scene file attached any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Philip

368002060_cart1.thumb.jpg.0b6729282c666aefe29d570fe335461a.jpg

1261455714_cart2.thumb.jpg.86c632cd1e81871dad2c729fed3b9744.jpg

801013978_cart3.thumb.jpg.c0346719ab189b48a0e2205219cfa01f.jpg

cart rig.c4d

Hmmm, maybe have the rotational axis for the cart at the handle.  Then use a Target tag to have it aim at a null on the ground plain....  Actually the more I think about it, an IK chain is probably what you want here.  Make it like an extention of the hand joint and animate the goal along the ground.

some constraints + xpresso

cart.c4d

pull the handle, not too hard ::):

Thanks for the reply natevplas, i'll keep the ik as a last resort. For now I'll try and figure out the cool solution Jed posted. Thank you very much.

(...) (stares at xpresso)

Hm that's counter intuitive to me, to rotate the wheel you divide its global position through its radius? Tilting the cart is a matter of ... no wait ...

@pilF cart explanation - it's all down to radians ...

• Like 2

@jed you rock!!  That was super educational for me.  I love this forum!

@natevplas thanks. I'm sure many folk see XPresso's use of radians as a stupid annoyance, but there's a reason ::):

• Haha 1

This is great, thank you jed, i can see how the solution you provided works. I'll post a shot of an animated granny and her cart once they are animated. Working on a decent walkcycle now. Thanks again for your help.

Philip

@pilF if you use a hidden plane for the clamp surface (as per my scene), make sure it's big enough or the cart will come to a halt at the edge.

Getting there

annie_trolley.thumb.jpg.04d9b77ca9b9fe7fb6b68e1ffef823db.jpg

@pilF I had another look at the shopping cart to see if I could make it work in 3D, not just on one axis. Still WIP - see video

I used the famous base80 wheel

3Dcart.c4d

BaseWheel1.7.c4d

• Like 1

Sweet, wish i'd seen this earlier. I actualy did break the first setup  and ended up hard keyframing the cart to the hand pulling it. Problem was that the handle wasn't straight but bend which offsets the angle. Also the target was moving in x, y and z (the arm was fk). The character does a walk in place so now i need to key the rotation of the wheels by hand. Or make clever use of that wheel in relation to the feet sliding. But Annie (the character) will do one more performance with her shopping cart and I'll defenitly (try and) use the awesome rig you built in that one. Thanks again jed. I've added the - trolley from hell mesh - as a weird kind of thank you.

Philip

trolly from hell.jpg

shopping cart.c4d