cavolfiore

Refraction displacement map from C4D

Hello everybody,

Guess you can help me with this. I'm creating an opener that includes some geometries with glass shader; I was planning to put some cards behind the glass elements and show them just through the refractions. The obvious issue is that the textures I have to apply to the cards are not ready yet (they should be pictures of a crew) and I was wondering if it's possible to export from C4D the displacement map generated by the refractions and subsequently displace in post the texture that are gonna match the perspective due to the external compositing tag (applied to all the cards behind the glass elements)

Let me know if it makes any sense to you:)

Thanks guys

cavolfiore

What you're after is a Refraction pass. I am not intimately familiar with Cinema's Multi-pass, but I did some searching and there is plenty of info in past threads here.

I don't think the refraction pass does the trick here. If I understand correctly he wants to distort the pictures on the cards behind the glass in front. For that he would need a per pixel vector value of the areas that have refraction. The refraction pass only shows what has been refracted in the render. If the pictures are not there during render, the pass won't help with anything.

Now, I'm not too familiar with After Effects but it might be possible to distort the cards in post with a normalmap, as that texture saves 3D coordinates in the RGB channels. You could theoretically convert your displacementmaps to normalmaps and use those in post to distort the final textures.

I doubt it'll look as good as real distortion though, so I'd only use that in the worst case scenario if it's possible at all.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys! I solved it buy import the texture in cinema and render them out with the distortion, it was not so time consuming as expected

• Like 1