I have been using C4D for just over a year now but my next challenge is animation.

I need to do a simple animation of a magnified effect, please see graphic below;

973909225_C4Ddressingzoom.thumb.jpg.c75f72051eb96f6ee748625231192b00.jpg

I do not know where to start so help and advice is gratefully received.

Hi,

You can do it easily with magnify effect later in After Effects, just render out your animation from C4D and import in AE for further magnification, some tutorial about this:

Cheers, Danijel

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks danijelk but I'd like to create this in C4D as I do not use AE...well not yet anyway.

You should use AE together with C4D, for compositing work, it's industry standard, and C4D and AE works great together and have very tight connection. Standard workflow is to render out image sequence from C4D (I prefer OpenEXR file format, 16bit, Half-size), and import that sequence into AE and do all compositing work. At the end, render out final animation from Adobe Media Encoder (Cineform 10-bit file format), as main video, and then render out that main video as H.264, for web, youtube, and similar.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Danijel, I'll give it a go.

You can animate in pshop too if your more comfortable there. Render out a still and a high res section from cinema, probably get it done with a couple of smart objects. Or  just do it with vectors is pshop if its simplified.

Deck

This chap Alex Grig did a nice tutorial, pretty much all you need to know to get started in about an hour

Yes, much easier to do in AE!  But it had me wondering how you would go about it in C4D.  I used the Mograph > Camera Shader and a second camera that is way zoomed in.  I couldn't figure it out at first why it was always stretching the texture.  I assumed that it wanted a square aspect ratio, but when I looked it up in the Help it apparently defaults to 1.33 aspect (what??).  I did everything they said, but what wasn't clear to me at first is that the 1.333 actually just represents whatever your project's aspect ratio is currently and you need to figure out the aspect of your object you're projecting on, which for this is just square, so 1.  You can replace 1.333 in the equation with, for example, 1.778 for a 16x9 project.  Even then, the math just wasn't working out for me.  I ended up adding 100 to the multiplied number and putting it in the Vertical Scale field instead of Horizontal like the Help document says.  So the final equation is (1/1.778)*100+100 = 156.

Long story short, it can be done!

image.thumb.png.293818edccf000a3d7bfb587989ae835.png

Magnifier Camera Shader.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, natevplas said:

Yes, much easier to do in AE!  But it had me wondering how you would go about it in C4D.  I used the Mograph > Camera Shader and a second camera that is way zoomed in.  I couldn't figure it out at first why it was always stretching the texture.  I assumed that it wanted a square aspect ratio, but when I looked it up in the Help it apparently defaults to 1.33 aspect (what??).  I did everything they said, but what wasn't clear to me at first is that the 1.333 actually just represents whatever your project's aspect ratio is currently and you need to figure out the aspect of your object you're projecting on, which for this is just square, so 1.  You can replace 1.333 in the equation with, for example, 1.778 for a 16x9 project.  Even then, the math just wasn't working out for me.  I ended up adding 100 to the multiplied number and putting it in the Vertical Scale field instead of Horizontal like the Help document says.  So the final equation is (1/1.778)*100+100 = 156.

Long story short, it can be done!

image.thumb.png.293818edccf000a3d7bfb587989ae835.png

Magnifier Camera Shader.c4d 449.09 kB · 1 download

Wow, thanks for this, didn't expect someone to try and do it. But what exactly have you created here, sorry, I am such a C4D noob. I have opend your C4D file but are not sure what I am looking at. Thanks again, Rich.

Haha, I guess I got too into the weeds of explaining my technical difficulties to explain the basics of what I did!  I also just opened my file and realized I must have messed something up with the orientation of the texture- fixed now in the file attached.  I've cleaned it up and made it a little more functional too.

Basically, there is something called the Camera Shader which just takes the view from any camera you link and displays it as a texture.  So you can put that texture on an object and it's like a live TV broadcast from the camera to that object.  In order for the image to not be stretched, you need that math stuff I posted.  One thing that will help visualize it is to turn on Enhanced Open GL and Post Effects:
    image.thumb.png.cb10cbd8b52c8a685fddaee44fc806d3.png

Now, if you move the null called "Move ME, Scale ME" you should see the texture on the "Mag Display" disc update.  Scale it with the scale tool to get greater/less magnification.

Making more sense now?

Magnifier Camera Shader v2.c4d

• Like 1

When you have the right display settings, it should look like this:

image.thumb.png.ba1bd4a390640cffb81a30a2a4dfd6d7.png

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • Wow, that is truly really really helpful, many thanks for taking the time out to go through this with me, its very much appreciated.

• Like 1