Sign in to follow this  
kkamin

Lighting Contest

24 minutes ago, natevplas said:

Dude, you gotta try RedShift!!  I bet it would be under 5 minutes with GI if you have a decent graphics card.

Hmnmm...actually I have been rather interested in Octane lately. 

But I guess my point is this:  How much of the skill in lighting is artist driven and how much of it is tool/render software driven?  What is that ratio now and where do you think it will be in the future?  Can you even have a meaningful contest on lighting given what the various render engines can provide these days?

I swear that as technology grows, pretty soon the only choices being made will be where to place the key light because after that the software takes over and you will get GI results with infinite light bounces, random walk SSS, spectral scattering and absorption,  soft shadows, etc. all automatically calculated in 5 seconds because you selected the  "Make it real, make it beautiful and make it fast" options in the render settings.

Dave 

• Topic Author
  • I feel it's 100% artist driven. I work at a production studio. We start with a dark studio and it takes someone to first and foremost, have a vision, and then select lights, move them into place, set up modifiers, set up flags and scrims, etc. This all happens in real-time without any rendering. Most commercial photographers I know (and I work with amazing ones), still work incredibly hard and struggle at times to get the exact lighting they are envisioning and dealing with getting rid of hot spots, reflections, and shadows that are working counter to their vision.

If you're able to light anything you want anyway you want, you should be a Hollywood DP making a million a movie (live action or animated films).  

In my opinion the render engine is just calculating the physics of the light. It's like a golf club. You can get better ones or faster ones for sure. But you need to be Tiger Woods using it, to consistently deliver beautiful results.

10 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Hmnmm...actually I have been rather interested in Octane lately.

Haven't touched Octane in a while, but last I tried it couldn't stand up to RedShift in getting rid of noise.

10 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I swear that as technology grows, pretty soon the only choices being made will be where to place the key light because after that the software takes over and you will get GI results with infinite light bounces, random walk SSS, spectral scattering and absorption,  soft shadows, etc. all automatically calculated in 5 seconds because you selected the  "Make it real, make it beautiful and make it fast" options in the render settings.

I don't agree.  That's like saying we don't need cinematographers to choose lighting set-ups for real sets because there are already some fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling!  Just because new tools are making it easier to get realistic lighting results doesn't mean that it doesn't take an artist to tell the computer what to do.

• Topic Author
  • I'll give an example. Left is obviously someone just shooting an image with whatever lighting happened to be around, the one on the right was shot by a photographer where I work. The one on the right has a strong vision for its look and feel, and technically every surface has a controlled lighting gradient  sweeping cross it, what each material is made of is clear, everything is separating dimensionally, and the reflections and shadows are being carefully controlled. This is product photography, but shooting an environment is not much different. You're going to want to reveal texture through lighting. You're going to want to make sure things separate and that you create a sense of dimension. You want the light to bring focus on to what is appropriate, create visual balance and create mood.

The photographers who will be judging will be looking at the lighting from a professional-level, commercial point of view.

xbox.jpg

22 hours ago, kkamin said:

Cool, just gauging interest currently. Good questions:

1. Post work allowed if it's just adjusting tone and color. You won't be able to paint in highlights or shadows or do any image retouching like removing things in reflections, etc.

2. I'll ask that you describe the lighting set-up so after the students try to replicate, they can learn how it was done. 

3. You can use any lighting tools you want

4. The scene is going to be fairly simple. This is meant for people to have fun with the challenge more than anything, and then check out what other people came up with.

OK so the 1. answer kills multi-pass workflow. For example rendering reflection channel separately and adding it in PS to enhance existing reflection on raw render.

All that can be changed in post work is hue, saturation, vibrance, exposure, contrast... of final render. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, please reply to this thread once the contest starts, I may would like to give it a go.

• Topic Author
  • Sounds good. For #1 I just means, inside of photoshop you can't get a white paint brush and start making up highlights where there are none or remove things that were not able to be solved while inside of the 3D environment (clone stamping things out). It won't be an issue if you want to render out in passes and elect to strengthen or reduce your reflection pass for example.

I'll be in touch. I plan to make this public next week. This should be fun to see what everyone comes up with.

I'm in!

Sounds interesting!