Hi people! I'm trying to figure something for days now. I'm somewhere in between beginner and advanced in mograph cloner (closer to beginner) and this is bugging me for days now!

On topic; I'm building a soccer stadium and cloning the seats is far more difficult that I expected. One of my (many) methods is I start by having 2 rectangles and cloning them in between with blend mode on cloner. (Image 1.jpg)

Then I clone a seat in cloner with option Object on cloned splines, with Step distribution. (Image 2.jpg) So far so good!

Here is where the issue comes. Since I need to remove some rows of seats (you can check any stadium picture), I used plain effector with box field to remove the seats but the seats are not correctly lined up. (Image 3.jpg). If I adjust step or offset, one side might work, but since this seats removal is happening all over the stadium, it's always bad somewhere. 

I've tried other modes like count, even, vertex etc, but not working.

I've tried some other methods as well, but I have a feeling my brain will explode, so pls help! :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

I believe seating at sporting stadiums are lined up to be even on the isles. My guess is that you need to figure out how many FEWER seats there are on each loop as they get smaller. Right now, your seats are slightly offset, which is good for spectators, but bad for neat isles up the stairs. Plus the stadiums get more paying seats with even isles. Does that make sense? If I've misunderstood your issue, then explain in a different way.

Think I would just cut those splines right down the walkways / isles and start from there with spline sections. I think as the previous post mentioned stadium seats line up in various ways but from memory they all look a bit weird in the corners where its cut into wedges. 

Deck

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, deck said:

Think I would just cut those splines right down the walkways / isles and start from there with spline sections. I think as the previous post mentioned stadium seats line up in various ways but from memory they all look a bit weird in the corners where its cut into wedges. 

Deck

Nope, that won't work either, it will not line up on one side.

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

I believe seating at sporting stadiums are lined up to be even on the isles. My guess is that you need to figure out how many FEWER seats there are on each loop as they get smaller. Right now, your seats are slightly offset, which is good for spectators, but bad for neat isles up the stairs. Plus the stadiums get more paying seats with even isles. Does that make sense? If I've misunderstood your issue, then explain in a different way.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Basically, I'm trying to create soccer stadium, Allianz Arena in this particular case, and trying to figure out what is the best aproach to do it.

Have you got a reference image of the real thing.

Deck

Just had a look at the 360 from the stadium, and its quite complex. How accurate do you want to be

Deck

you can see from these grabs they can't get it done in real world either, if they lined up perfectly there would be hardly any seats in the back rows on the corners. Looks like standing only behind goals too. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.35.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.35.33.png

Yep, I think a single cloner is probably not capable of producing such a complex seating pattern, or at least you will waste a lot of time trying to make it do so, and may never get your perfect result. I think you need to use many cloners instead, using each one to make just one small section of seating. So in the 3rd tier for example, each group of seats between an aisle would have its own cloner.

That way you can be a lot more flexible in your approach to the various sections, and it will take less effort to make each one correct because your changes are decoupled from the rest of the sections. It also has the advantage that with a well organised hierarchy you don't have to have 10,000 clones calculating all the time you are working on them - you can isolate what is visible to just the 100 or so seats you are working on, which will mean much less time waiting for updates.

On Turbosquid I think someone has already made a model of this stadium so that might be helpful to you, reference-wise as you build yours...

CBR

Here's what I'd do for the sectional approach above. In this highly simplified example, I am making my first small section from a single cloner, which is cloning onto the Polygon Centers of some guide geo (just a tapered plane, later to be render-hidden) and I have made a simple polygon selection tag to limit where those clones appear. Now I have things lining up on both aisle sides and I can easily use a shader effector to colour the clones in very specific ways...

817983863_stadiumsection.thumb.jpg.d9e5a6cc288139b9b4f159ef037b43ad.jpg

When I have this section perfect, I can either instance the whole cloner for use in other identical blocks, or copy it and modify for the next different one. Of course it's more work overall, but will give you a much more controllable result.

A corollary question emerges - how would you get the base geo correctly positioned and aligned in the first place ? Lots of choices here. You could make each whole tier in one hit from 2 splines in a loft, make that editable, and then go round splitting that up into the sections you need. Or you might be able to use symmetry to half or even quarter the work here. But I think it would be preferable to create one section manually from a parametric plane with a Live 2x2x2 FFD applied to do any tapering on the corner sections, get it aligned and segmented suitably, then copy or instance it as you need - again with multi-symmetry this is not as much work as it sounds ! If you can keep the planes parametric you can freely adjust segmentation and poly selections to vary seat numbers and what appears where.

CBR

Here is a superb tutorial which might help you. Also, perhaps you can make blocks of seats invisible using the Formula Effector using the techniques Noseman discusses.

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, teknow said:

Here is a superb tutorial which might help you. Also, perhaps you can make blocks of seats invisible using the Formula Effector using the techniques Noseman discusses.

Sorry, I don't see a link?