Greetings all,

Hoping someone can clarify a few things regarding the MoGraph cache feature, particularly as it would pertain to network or farm rendering.

I understand the difference between caching to RAM and caching to .mog file, but if I have some Cloners cached to RAM, will the C4D file hold onto that cache info, or will I have to run a re-cache if I quit and re-open C4D?

Regarding the use of .mog files and remote render farms, is there any standard nomenclature for the folder name I should save the .mog sequence to, or does this tend vary from service to service? Furthermore, is it generally better practice to render out the .mog file for farm rendering, or does simply rendering the cache to RAM/C4D file tend to suffice?

One more related question: would I see any difference in CPU render-time between caching to RAM/file vs. caching to disk?

Many thanks,

NpF

With regards the caching, data cached and not exported is stored in the document on save,  using an external cache might reduce memory usage on the nodes and network bandwidth a little while doing network rendering, depending on the scene itself and duration of the cache. I am not sure if the output is individual files per frame or if it just makes a mega file for the whole animation, I’m pretty sure the former but have no ways of checking now. It would be a good idea to ask the render farm for specifics.

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • My guess was that it might depend on farm's particular setup, but many thanks for the response and for lending a little more clarity!

-NpF