Sign in to follow this  
anglereserve

Vray and Redshift

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with V-ray  in the context of using an AMD 2950x for CPU rendering vs Redshift (or Octane) with 2 1080 GPU's or better. 

I was thinking of trying out an AMD build but am not sure if I'll get any real gains.   I might be better off sticking to Redshift and upgrading to dual RTX cards instead while keeping my i7 rig.....  thanks for your thoughts!

Redshift all the way, or if you prefer more Octane, both are best GPU render engines for C4D, but RS is my choice (using it). High clock/speed  i7/i9 cpu in combination with 2-3-4 GTX/RTX cards is great setup, no doubt.

Cheers,

I don't use either engine, but I just saw a preview over at Greyscale showing the BETA of Red Shift GPU, so I don't believe it is out yet. Hard to say it is the best right?

2 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

I don't use either engine, but I just saw a preview over at Greyscale showing the BETA of Red Shift GPU, so I don't believe it is out yet. Hard to say it is the best right?

Al - you are confusing Arnold with Redshift.  :)

Whoops. You are 100% correct. My bad. Yeah, Redshift already had GPU, but Arnold is just now adding it. Thanks for correcting me.

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, danijelk said:

Redshift all the way, or if you prefer more Octane, both are best GPU render engines for C4D, but RS is my choice (using it). High clock/speed  i7/i9 cpu in combination with 2-3-4 GTX/RTX cards is great setup, no doubt. 

Cheers,

I currently run Redshift with 2x1080s and love it..  Was mainly wondering how that would compare to a CPU setup with one of those insane 16 core threadrippers....

Big thing with gpu rendering is realtime instant rendering feedback/preview, which speeds up your workflow in a big way, not just pure rendering speed. When you try it I'm sure you will never go back to cpu rendering, unless there's a some specific need for cpu rendering. I was using c4d standard and physical cpu render engine many years, rendering on powerful 14 core Xeons, but Redshift gpu rendering in overall is much much faster when you building your scenes, and also when you start final rendering. AMD threadrippers are very fast in rendering but can't match 2 or more higher end cards like GTX 1080 or better.

Is the GPU Mode in VrayforC4D working now? Or is it still buggy as hell?

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, zeden said:

Is the GPU Mode in VrayforC4D working now? Or is it still buggy as hell?

I'm not sure but V-Ray is what I had in mind.  I think I'll have to investigate further.

Hi guys,

I just started with RS for a few pro works and it is very fast, especially preview in realtime for your materials and light. Render time is halved. (2k rendered scenes in 12 mins instead of 1 hour! a shop model with 32 area lights on the ceiling)

I have a 8086 intel @4.5ghz/ 32 gb ram + 2 x 1070 ti's.

I used Vray a few years and do get back to it when I have more materials I need that are already Vray and the scene is simple.

Vray renders the light more nicely, I think it's the physical GI that is better and has more shades/hues.

Increasing bounces in RS doesn't make a big difference I think.

But I have only been on RS a few month so it can be fine tuned still.

moreover, it really makes use of the GPU.

The only place Vray works as fine as RS is in sketchup with the latest Vray version as I recently noticed. But modeling in skp is a nightmare....:lol:

I have no clue why chaosgroup did not work over the IPR to the same extent in C4D, other than there are more users on sketchup?

a pity...This is why I migrated to RS!