Sign in to follow this  
wabbits

Problem using grass/foliage props w/Hair

I'm trying to use Hair to grow grass, moss, foilage on geometry. I'm able to use a falloff texture to control the placement and length of the hairs, but when I drop in my plant geometry into the hair everything falls apart. I assume the Hair material tag has no control over hair when using custom geometry. Is that the case? If so is there an alternate solution for this? I've considered clones, but i'm concerned it will be too heavy for my scene. 

KJPwF1O.jpgdKgJv7m.png

hair_test_07.c4d

Yes, I think you have found one of the big drawbacks of hair instances. The hair material only controls thickness now.

Colour is controlled by applying a regular material to the hair object (rather unintuitively in my book) and I have not yet found a way to control instance density, or where it appears other than with a selection tag when you initially apply the hair.

Still, we should ask @Rectro. If anyone is gonna know, it'll be him...

CBR

Hi, is this what you are after?

dog_hair_1_0085.jpg

Hi

The instance from generate tab follows the hair and the hair in turn is controlled by the hair material.  For any adjustment such as random length, direction and density (controlled via a map) it can all be done within the hair material where there are parameters that include variable adjustments.  It's also a good idea to use multiple hair objects each having less hairs, but using a different seed and instance geometry.

Dan