VanderAGSN

R20 Rendering Issue on Windows 10

Hi all, I find more and more flaws in the version of R20 under windows 10, which was not when I was on windows 8.1.

The problem is that the render on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 looks different.

Unfortunately, I can’t show how it was rendered in Windows 8.1, but in my opinion in Windows 10, for some reason, it looks like it sucks.

To make sure of this - take a look at these screenshots.

That's how geometry looks in the "raw" viewport

uc?id=1pNdaLCzlt5ApqV1EUMStsx9cxLNMztky

That's how it's look in the "standart" render with default settings

uc?id=134WhSDGG17REP_jSQtjXfkESaPIaVeKY

I don’t understand for what reasons the other edges are displayed more normally, but there wasn’t such a problem on Windows 8.1 as I recall. Maybe I will convince myself to go back to this operating system, because I met a lot of bugs during the time I switched to Windows 10. Unfortunately, I can’t show specific comparisons, but the scene doesn’t look like it was in 8.1 imho. 

Moved this geometry to a separate scene. No result

uc?id=1bCiO5aoT3Y9h17zmqZb-jiSQqsYcYh5Y

uc?id=13EIalB067CnL4tFU-T2jhPXe48WWDN9E

uc?id=19Yx87oeUwjKYtbjp68tlGCKtL0uYr_cg

Issue.c4d

• Topic Author
  • UPD : When changing angle smooth to zero - but that's not solution - edges are shown normally. For some reason, edge break phong does not infuse the render result

There is definitely something odd going on there. I agree that edge breaks showing in the editor are not being respected in the renderers (Standard / Phys).

But then I turned on the mesh checker, and found these polygons marked as 'bad'.

1954145467_BadPolys.thumb.jpg.e23fb53dc40674453b0f7aa8f412de97.jpg

I don't know if that is an additional problem (there was question on the cafe yesterday from someone who noticed bad polys were being created by SDS objects in R19) or if it is connected with / causing the one you mention, but I concur something is wrong, and you should send this file to MAXON, open a support case with them and ask why those polys are flagged as bad and if the issue is connected to that.

Do let us know what they say...

CBR

This continued to worry me, so I did additional tests and footled about with it a bit more, and to my surprise,  seem to have fixed it inadvertently....

IssueFix.thumb.jpg.4db6e8c48b60a2db3bb9f645891da257.jpg

Could you load this and see if it works for you ?

IssueFix.c4d

All I did was:

1. Selected a random (contiguous block) of 7 polys that mesh checker had marked bad, deleted them, then rebuilt with identical topology with poly pen, then reactivated Mesh Checker, which still marked them bad !

2. Selected all your phong break edges, added my new ones to that, unbroke them all, re-broke them, and then it was inexplicably fine in render.

Initially I thought 1 had nothing to do with it, so went back to your original file, did just No. 2, and that didn't fix it. So then did 1 and 2, and again, it did. Totally mystifying !

CBR

OK, the weirdness continues...

If I open the first file you posted, delete these 2 poly islands...

959482033_Polyislands.thumb.jpg.8fa1f4ba91a9b13bce66eddf5189ac65.jpg

...then the phong issue disappears from the remaining pieces.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes, it is really very strange.. Your fix fixes problems, and the last message solves this problem completely. Initially, these polygons were non-planar, but now they are labeled as bad polygon.. Also I’m wondering for what reasons the same file created in the same version of cinema 4d r20.057 but on a different operating system, namely windows 8.1 showed everything is fine. Still thank you for helping with this very strange issue

• Topic Author
  • uc?id=1xzmC2uil3H5J-8DBVellOpqZvpaEwKoF

Another strange mesh here. Initially, bottom polygons also were non-planar, but now they are labeled as bad polygon for some reason. Why triangles marked as bad?

• Topic Author
  • I also tried to export fbx to 3ds max, and then import 3ds max's fbx into cinema 4d - still bad polygons but i dont know why that's happens

4 hours ago, VanderAGSN said:

Why triangles marked as bad?

Lols - well strictly speaking triangles in modelling ARE bad :) But they are only bad technique - the program should still deal with them (especially outside a Sub-D workflow) with no issues at all - indeed the Bevel tool and deformers both create them with default chamfer settings (a mistake IMO). However what I do find interesting is that if I recreate that problem shape from scratch, and use the bevel deformer with 1 segment or uniform mitering (which gives me an almost identical result to yours but all quads), I do notice that doesn't produce any polys marked as errors, and indeed doesn't seem to give the shading issue ! But tempted as a Sub-D fanatic such as myself would be to use this to extol the value of an all-quad workflow, that would be wrong, because at the end of the day the mesh checker shouldn't be marking those triangles bad and phong breaks should be respected by render in all cases, and regardless of topology (except perhaps ngons).

CBR

• Topic Author
  • That's right, but i still dont understand why those polygons on my screenshot are "bad". I also tried to optimize mesh - still bad polygons. But when i create similar structure mesh - there's only are non-planar polygons, which can be fixed by triangulate mesh. That's very strange and I would like to fix it somehow

1 hour ago, VanderAGSN said:

That's right, but i still dont understand why those polygons on my screenshot are "bad".

I don't either - they shouldn't be marked as such. I suspect it's simply a bug (or bugs), and something has just been overlooked about that functionality since the new core updates... but if we have told MAXON, and notified Igor here at the cafe, that is all we can do.

CBR