Hello, everyone,

I have a problem with "Cinema 4d" animation.

1 question. Compressing animated files, some animations looks ugly. For example wind in background (see attachment). So, please share how you place "Cinema 4d" animated files. What you use footage format, codec or etc. For me most important that will be with minimum losses or better with no losses (i trying to sell animation). It requered footage stock pages!

And 2 question. In some tutorials i saw that are rendering in ".png" sequences or other. And then bring them to AE... But why is this done, then just "animation" and other video formats are available? And can get one best animation file with out losses.

Thank you!

Animation ugly.png

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

The artefacts you are showing are compression artefacts caused by rendering direct to a compressed video format or to a similarly lossy format like jpeg in the case of stills. The reason we output to png (or TIF / PSD etc) is that a) it is lossless, so this artefact problem doesn't occur, and b) if the computer crashes or there is a random power cut at frame 2999 of a 3000 frame render, then we don't have to start that render all over again because we were clever enough to save single images ! We'd just have to resume it at the point it stopped, whereas if we were rendering to a single video clip, that clip would be broken, and we'd have to start again from frame 0. When renders can take an hour a frame, that is a serious advantage, or rather you'd be mad NOT to do it.. 

Lastly, the vast majority of output from Cinema benefits from post processing, and all decent Post-Production apps import still image sequences, so we might as well do it as standard.

Of course you can render out a lossless uncompressed raw animation, but given the above - why would you ?!

CBR

Actually - I never thought about power outages before :) - but along with what Cerbera said - with image sequences, you can rerender small parts of the animation e.g. Frame 203-478 without having to rerender the entire sequence.

evanalexander.com     Abusing chromatic aberration heavily since 2011....

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

Actually - I never thought about power outages before :) - but along with what Cerbera said - with image sequences, you can rerender small parts of the animation e.g. Frame 203-478 without having to rerender the entire sequence.

Thanks for the detailed answers! But please specify what i should do, that my animation will be without loss or as small as possible? Render into individual images? What formats recommend? I noticed, for example, if i render volumetric lights into individual images, volumetric lights somehow, disappears or falls significantly. How can this be solved? Thank you for answers!

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

The artefacts you are showing are compression artefacts caused by rendering direct to a compressed video format or to a similarly lossy format like jpeg in the case of stills. The reason we output to png (or TIF / PSD etc) is that a) it is lossless, so this artefact problem doesn't occur, and b) if the computer crashes or there is a random power cut at frame 2999 of a 3000 frame render, then we don't have to start that render all over again because we were clever enough to save single images ! We'd just have to resume it at the point it stopped, whereas if we were rendering to a single video clip, that clip would be broken, and we'd have to start again from frame 0. When renders can take an hour a frame, that is a serious advantage, or rather you'd be mad NOT to do it.. 

Lastly, the vast majority of output from Cinema benefits from post processing, and all decent Post-Production apps import still image sequences, so we might as well do it as standard.

Of course you can render out a lossless uncompressed raw animation, but given the above - why would you ?!

CBR

Thanks for the detailed answers! But please specify what i should do, that my animation will be without loss or as small as possible? Render into individual images? What formats recommend? I noticed, for example, if i render volumetric lights into individual images, volumetric lights somehow, disappears or falls significantly. How can this be solved? Thank you for answers!

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the detailed answers!

But please specify what i should do, that my animation will be without loss or as small as possible? Render into individual images? What formats recommend?

I noticed, for example, if i render volumetric lights into individual images, volumetric lights somehow, disappears or falls significantly. How can this be solved?

Thank you for answers!

Render to png from Cinema, then whatever video format you prefer from your post application. I don't know what you have installed, so can't really advise which codec is best for you...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Render to png from Cinema, then whatever video format you prefer from your post application. I don't know what you have installed, so can't really advise which codec is best for you...

CBR

But as i said: if i render animation volumetric lights into individual images as .png, animation with those volumetric lights somehow disappears or falls significantly. 

Can you recommend solve it some how? Maybe try to render .tiff fomat?..

6 minutes ago, Mindaugas Kaziukonis said:

if i render animation volumetric lights into individual images as .png, animation with those volumetric lights somehow disappears or falls significantly. 

No that shouldn't happen, and tbh I don't believe it does ! ;) Please do feel free to upload a scene file that demonstrates this.

The format shouldn't change anything about the render except how much compression gets applied to it.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No that shouldn't happen, and tbh I don't believe it does ! ;)

The format shouldn't change anything about the render except how much compression gets applied to it.

CBR

Okey. Thaks for your time! 

• Namaste 1

You're welcome. But don't just take my word for it - we learn by seeing and doing, so setup your file with some volumetric lights, render a single frame once to TIF, then again to png, then to a short section of video. Compare those in the Picture viewer. If those are significantly different, upload them, with the scene file so we can see what other reasons there may be for discrepancy... but they shouldn't be that different - they should be almost identical.

CBR