deck

Cutting holes in complex shape

Hi Cafe

Im looking for some help / advice on my latest modelling project / lesson. Ive got this somewhat flattened egg shaped widget with some buttons within a convex cutout, bit hard to describe so some grabs below.

It took pretty much all my skills to create the cutout and maintain the egg shaped shell, but now Im confronted with trying to model in these buttons, seen in the top down view. I originally thought I would make them flat and curve them in somehow but at this point its all about the geometry.

Having got to the cutout circle I realise better planning may have helped, so Im wondering if I need to start again keeping more of an eye on the buttons.

I hate doing things twice ( not great for modelling patience ) so not keen to start again. Maybe should have started with buttons ?

Also the hole at the top for the lanyard looks problematic, tho I haven’t got the bottom shell in place yet.

Im thinking that I may be able to make those button indents with a displacement map so that would be my non modelling work around but not tried it yet.

Any advice / tips most welcome, had to save file with assets so uploaded to my ftp, not done that before so hopefully this link works.

Cheers

Deck

https://www.mailbigfile.com/c182b61b77ed654a7929d9ac18c361c6/listFiles.php?repro_id=6693

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 14.35.47.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 14.35.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 14.36.11.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 14.37.07.png

Very frustrating that I have to go out now :) If you can wait an hour or so, I can very much help with this when I get back...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • No worries CBR I will put it on the back burner and give the braincells a rest, I have no deadline.

Would be great to get your thoughts, Im already feeling guilty about mentioning displacement.

Deck

• Haha 1

OK, while I can see what you were going for there, in keeping your edge flow horizontally suitable like that, we do have to compromise that slightly to get enough geo for the buttons.

But rather than getting that curve early on, and then manfully struggling later to get holes that do not disrupt that curvature, I think I'd start flat, get symmetry out, and start outlining those holes with the minimum amount of topology you need, which I judged to be this...

A.thumb.jpg.0fe923b474715ae0930ccae0dd8cf146.jpg

We need to keep our rims thin when they are this proximal. When connected, symmetried, and SDS'd, that looks like this...

B.thumb.jpg.f04846f457667c109444469cbcfa8ebd.jpg

...which I decided didn't have enough topology under the biggest circle, so changed that thusly, and then got my FFD out to match the curve of that section...

2032260752_CutoutsanswerFFD.thumb.jpg.e208b61837083ff241acb7a17a009436.jpg

Notice how the edge flow still goes mainly straight across the panel in the right direction to support the curve, but now does so in a way that also supports the holes.

It's a little higher poly than I would normally like, so perhaps were I to start the body after this, I would do it unconnected initially, by extruding out once, then splitting off that outer ring and deleting every other edge around it, and continue at 'half-res' until I had the basic shape, then apply 1 level of SDS to restore the subdivision we had before, lastly connecting it up to the buttons section. Does that make sense ?

Of course it won't be the only way to go, but it is what I'd try first...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

That looks do able for me, tho its really tempting to do a displacement on those smaller holes. So once thats done, would you then extrude the outer loop and start building the shell from that point.

Many thanks

Deck

8 hours ago, deck said:

So once thats done, would you then extrude the outer loop and start building the shell from that point.

Yes, almost exactly the words I used in my post above ;) lols. If you delete every other edge at that point you'll have an easier time doing that, and it should all match up exactly when you re-sub-D it later.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sorry, I didn't fully read it, was a bit mesmerised by splicing the holes together. Ive got that bit done, bent it with a spline wrap on an elipse.

Even with your guide my brain was hurting filling in those gaps, don't think I would have got that tricksy angled quad on the top of offset small hole.

Having a bit of trouble lining it up, it jumps about depending on whether I have the object SDS or deformer selected. Currently trying to tweak the outer ring into place whilst keeping the button holes

The half res thing makes sense, but I will have to come back to you to advice how make the two go into one, i have a vague idea but don't think Ive done that before.

Thanks again

Deck

looking good on the top view but a bit long on side view, that could be my reference pics perspective playing a part, tho My previous attempt seemed close.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 08.05.03.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 08.05.32.png

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR

I found it wasn't bending properly so added some loops in the bottom section, originally I ran them to the small holes but that upset the circles, so I managed to stop them with an extrude inner a bit earlier on, I think thats my first ever piece of intuitive modelling and was quite pleased with self until I got to this circle stepping issue. For a minute i thought i had it and Im sure its real simple but i couldn't get my head round it. Im sure there must be an easy and obvious way to do it but it seems my brain just doesn't work that way :)

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.05.40.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.27.03.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.36.05.png

The last picture looks ok to me. The first two... not sure I would do something like that.
    For reference:

264064347_sub-dstep-down-guide.thumb.png.83330549796e750d63622a239de03444.png

But yeah for a bend you want to have a relatively even topology across the bending area. And in general when you are asking yourself the question "how can I get these details into this shape", the answer is "more geometry" (in the base shape). When you start your model, first look at the smallest details you will have to account for. And then you can either decide to model it in or do it with displacement or bump mapping. It kinda depends on what your requirements for the model are (does it need to be low poly? Is it just for practice? Is only the rendered result important?)

You could technically do this with a circle (like the red part, then all around) and it would be all quads again with the inner circle having double the geometry of the outer one.

stepdown.png.dc03a0709b31222451a62d63ad818914.png

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Aha, thanks for the general advice and in particular that circle section. i don't seem to be able to think outside the box with these topology problems, like the way you have used two segments to keep the quads.

I should probably do that outer ring before i bend it i have those reference grabs you posted but i still couldn't see it.

Thanks Michiel.

Deck

I like KoS's solution to the downstepping, but really guys, you are making this unnecessarily difficult for yourselves :) Sure, I said delete every other edge, but as soon as you have the low poly body I also said add back / apply 1 level of subdivision, which would turn those 8 points straight back into 16 so you can join to the buttons section. There is no need to manually make a 16 meet an 8 at all ! Sorry for confusion.

CBR