deck

Cutting holes in complex shape

• Topic Author
  • CBR, that sounds sensible. I learned how to join the circles as above, but still couldn't do it when looking at my own geometry.

Struggling a bit with the concept of starting again with just that ring of polys / edge. Just revisiting my previous one to see if I can join the two together, its sort of fitting but Ive not cut into it yet.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 15.02.51.png

I am not sure about the wisdom of trying to cut that into your existing body. It's possible, just not preferable. So I did a quick test, and confirmed to myself that you can make the body from scratch in under 12 mins, and it could look a little bit nicer for it...

D2.thumb.jpg.be4bcaa8d5508df666df65b859f2739c.jpg

D1.thumb.jpg.1d19f8eb7c487c1d2ecddf0fd19561e7.jpg

Here we are under a L1 SDS so we can check that our topo will perfectly meet the cutout when that is applied later...

Sorry - I don't mean to be giving you advice you don't need, but it's such an attractive object I couldn't resist modelling it myself ! And figured you might find it interesting to compare topology choices even if you go with yours in the end...

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes, you shouldn't have said that :)

I did try with the extra ring but once I pulled it off and extruded it out a bit I just got lost with it all on different levels etc. Also having some trouble as i switch between stuff with the position under SDS and then sometimes editing normal position. Also starting to think bout the lanyard hole etc.

You do have nice topo on yours but that would probably take me all day of pushing it around and messing stuff up.

12 minutes ! so if it was a job you would probably get the whole thing modelled in a couple of hrs, I will be giving you a call if I ever get another job with any modelling involved, but don't hold yer breath.

This is where I am at the mo, lining up a few things before I try and cut it, will probably bite me in the ass, and I will have to do it your way in the end but Im stubborn and conscious it will take me forever to get all the other details done.

Thanks again for all your wisdom, wasn't looking forward to joining those circles :)

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 17.38.31.png

Ah, I see I mine is way too square up the top end :) But however we get those sections joined, we are going to have to subdivide one more time once we have...

Whilst the larger lanyard hole can go in at L1 when you've joined the 2 sections (because it is a rounded shape which doesn't need extra edges, other than those you get from a regular inner extrude) to define it. But then you have to make symmetry editable to add the small lanyard hole, and the USB cutout on the right there. The latter of those has some sharp angles, and L1 is not enough to get those so you will need to apply ANOTHER level of SDS before you make those. In fact as it turns out,  L2 isn't quite enough either, but by then our curvature is so established that any  extra cuts we make cause very minimal disruption...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • That lanyard hole ( ignoring small one at the mo ) is a mare, Ive just chopped the front off and redone that with more topo. it moved when I turned on the SDS tho, so think I need another cut to hold that hole in place. and already getting a bit lumpy around there too. 

Will also chop and symmetry at some point as the two sides have drifted apart a bit

I spend 12 minutes just considering each move I make.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 19.14.25.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 19.16.35.png

The big lanyard hole shouldn't be causing you any problems - you can even do that with a single inner extrude on the base mesh, like so...
    we don't have quite enough edges, but we can still wrangle this into the right shape later...

E1.thumb.jpg.b2e983434f66c25d943dbfc3e1046ccb.jpg  E2.thumb.jpg.5ba7022352d7222f604ce44554e10314.jpg

So this shape matches pretty closely, but if we apply L1 SDS, we could then further slide the edges to better define the cutout...

BUT if we do it this low poly, we do risk introducing some lumpiness.
    Whereas if we cut that hole in AFTER we apply SDS L1, we can do it much more nicely, and our curvature remains undisturbed...

E3.thumb.jpg.5b00153baf4a812b2860edf12c0a3dd9.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hiya CBR

Im only just buying into the concept of subdividing and then remodelling. I usually try and keep it as one mesh so all my mistakes are in one place but beginning to come around.

Not happy with a few areas now, so will probably try again tomorrow with a new shell.

Cheers

Deck

• Topic Author
  • More Holes

Still chopping up this widget. There is a sim slot on one side which I think i have just about managed to keep the shape for, on its semi circular ends but only just, should i have really done it at the next level of SD ?

Then i have the square button next to it, which i though would be easy but again its hard to keep the corner radius in the corner and not have the sides barrel out, even at the next level of SD. So do i have to keep going to the next level when these issues arrive or am I missing a few tricks to keep it square at a higher level. Or do I need to slide and positions things better before i start extruding and cutting etc. 

I tend to have to revisit previous versions quite often to fix things I have messed up so Im always reluctant to sub divide. I know for sure i could get a nice hole with displacement so I still have that option which i think i will use for a few other circular holes. Just seems a simple square hole should be doable.

few grabs and a file to illustrate below.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.26.48.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.27.02.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.27.32.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 14.32.02.png

Buttons on shoeshape widget_48test.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Hi Cafe

I have yet another hole I cant deal with on my widget, this time its this semi hexagonal cutout for a USB socket. Ive tried a few things and the grab below was as close as I got, which frankly is rubbish. I know I can hold the bottom with an extra loop down there but how do i keep the angles in place. 

I started out by bevelling out the lines in question, but it hasn't ended well. I also tried at next level of subdue but essentially the same problem.

Any help / tips gratefully received

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 13.36.34.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 12.10.32.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 12.10.49.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 13.32.07.png

Buttons on shoeshape widget_62-CAF1.c4d

Yep, 100% understand what led you to try that, but we can't be having those convex quads, can we ? :) And even though you could slide a few points to fix that, it's still not ideal, and I would bet you are still seeing surface disturbance around that area...

1 hour ago, deck said:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 13.36.34.png

You do already know the answer :) There is going to have to be additional subdivision, the only question is whether it's another 1 or 2 levels.

Another 1 is not quite enough I have to say - but you only have to add another 4 loops (selected below) once you've done it to pretty much nail that shape. All those loops get added with Preserve Curvature turned on in the Loop Cut Tool so they don't break our surfaces.

1602004210_USBCutoutA.thumb.jpg.c9127dd713a31072d9c2d5704ed5bf48.jpg

If we want the corners even sharper than that, then we are now subdivided to a level where edge weighting shouldn't have too much in the way of detrimental effects...

Also, don't forget that when you put this L2 mesh under a new SDS, that will only need L1. Unless you do use edge weighting, in which case L2 will be better.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • LOL, its odd saying thank you when your really not happy about something, but thanks CBR, I know its not your fault :)

Deck

• Haha 1

• Topic Author
  • And finally......

Hi CBR, thought I would post my finalish result for the widget so you might see the fruits of some of your labour.

I did manage to stay all quads apart from the capsules I used for the LEDs. I think my skills ran out just before my patience and so the microphone and speaker holes were done with displacement. It would have been real hard for me to position them exactly with the new level of subdiv. In the same spirit I used a collision deformer to poke out 4 tiny bumps on the bottom that act as little feet. Obviously displacement for all the type too.

I also tend to use the bevel deformers to tighten up the edges, mainly cos it gives me the ability to change my mind on the sharpness which is often hard to judge till final output.

I have renderers of the coloured LEDs to play with too, maybe an animated GIF or similar, bit of a mare to light being a flat black rubberised material, I may revisit that.

Once again thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

Deck

cafejpg.jpg

• Awesome 1