Boomba

Rigging a Cartoon Bird Wing

this is actually pretty simple. create a psr pose morph for each finger joint chain. best to make a pose for curl and a pose for bend, also one for spread. you can then drive those pose morphs through user data and xpresso.

https://gyazo.com/c4224fdd7dab7550a3d343fee1bdae63

• Topic Author
  • 20 hours ago, everfresh said:

this is actually pretty simple. create a psr pose morph for each finger joint chain. best to make a pose for curl and a pose for bend, also one for spread. you can then drive those pose morphs through user data and xpresso.

https://gyazo.com/c4224fdd7dab7550a3d343fee1bdae63

so, stupid question... where do i put the actual pose morph tag?

Lets say I have an index finger IK chain. I make a circle spline at the tip of the finger for the goal.

I make another circle spline for the pole

Do I put the tag on either of those circles, or a new spline somewhere?

1 hour ago, Boomba said:

so, stupid question... where do i put the actual pose morph tag?

Lets say I have an index finger IK chain. I make a circle spline at the tip of the finger for the goal.

I make another circle spline for the pole

Do I put the tag on either of those circles, or a new spline somewhere?

first off, don't make ik chains for the fingers. use simple fk joint chains.

on the first joint of your finger chain, put the pose morph tag. set checkmarks for hierarchy and rotation. you can then store poses, because hierarchy is checked, every joint that's a child of your joint the pose morph is on will be recorded. after you're done, just duplicate the chain for another finger.

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, everfresh said:

first off, don't make ik chains for the fingers. use simple fk joint chains.

on the first joint of your finger chain, put the pose morph tag. set checkmarks for hierarchy and rotation. you can then store poses, because hierarchy is checked, every joint that's a child of your joint the pose morph is on will be recorded. after you're done, just duplicate the chain for another finger.

Thanks guys. I am making some great progress!

So, is there a way to make a slider for the bend of each finger pose morph AND then a master slider that bends all the fingers together?

When I try with the attached XPRESSO, it unlinks all the individuals when I try to link the ALL BEND into the inputs. I guess only one value can feed each input?

I see rigs with sliders that seem to allow for individual AND group finger closes. I think yours did it @everfresh

how do you go about doing that?

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 3.09.51 PM.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boomba said:

Thanks guys. I am making some great progress!

So, is there a way to make a slider for the bend of each finger pose morph AND then a master slider that bends all the fingers together?

When I try with the attached XPRESSO, it unlinks all the individuals when I try to link the ALL BEND into the inputs. I guess only one value can feed each input?

I see rigs with sliders that seem to allow for individual AND group finger closes. I think yours did it @everfresh

how do you go about doing that?

several ways to skin a cat. or a bird ;)

you could mix the values from the different user data via a math node. or you can just parent your joints to nulls and make another pose and use the nulls rotations to bend them all together. then you could also have controllers which are not effected by the pose morph, so you can also still manually adjust each segment of the fingers via the controllers. a hand rig with JUST sliders won't cut it in every situation, sometimes you want more granular control.

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, everfresh said:

several ways to skin a cat. or a bird ;)

you could mix the values from the different user data via a math node. or you can just parent your joints to nulls and make another pose and use the nulls rotations to bend them all together. then you could also have controllers which are not effected by the pose morph, so you can also still manually adjust each segment of the fingers via the controllers. a hand rig with JUST sliders won't cut it in every situation, sometimes you want more granular control.

gotcha.

OK, so last question for tonight. On your wing, do you use IK or are you manually keying everything? I am finding the IK kind of limiting, but manually rotating the shoulder and elbow each time seems a bit tedious.

3 minutes ago, Boomba said:

gotcha.

OK, so last question for tonight. On your wing, do you use IK or are you manually keying everything? I am finding the IK kind of limiting, but manually rotating the shoulder and elbow each time seems a bit tedious.

i have a switch, so i can blend between ik and fk when needed. if you have access to cineversity i recommend watching the rigging tutorials by bret bays, a rare but really good source for learning how to rig in c4d.

• Topic Author
  • Just now, everfresh said:

i have a switch, so i can blend between ik and fk when needed. if you have access to cineversity i recommend watching the rigging tutorials by bret bays, a rare but really good source for learning how to rig in c4d.

i do, thanks I

ll definitely check them out. I only watched the flabio ones which feel like they were recorded in version 10 of C4D or something.

2 minutes ago, Boomba said:

i do, thanks I

ll definitely check them out. I only watched the flabio ones which feel like they were recorded in version 10 of C4D or something.

they are all recorded in very old versions (r13 i guess) but that doesn't really matter, most of the stuff works still exactly the same... (just be aware when he sets up a hand rig he uses something that was around before we had pose morphs as we know them today)...