Sign in to follow this  
Roei

Shadow Catcher Issue

Hi, I am trying to render a single pass with alpha of my object with its shadow using a shadow catcher on the floor. 
the problem is it is affecting the reflections and the shadows in my scene. 

this is how it looks with the floor
image.thumb.png.2c048b21312f717febf441c57fc58eb9.pngse

this is after I enable the shadow catcher:

image.thumb.png.2170704e67f4d988c5456eee14b08898.png

notice the shadows on the rocket surface and the black reflection. how do I get this shadow to work and keep my rocket looking the same?

Thanks

Try adding a compositing tag to the Floor, then unticking 'seen by reflection'.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • thanks, I tried before messing with all the compositing tag option including this but still there is a hint of shadow...

image.thumb.png.d7a5189599d25fa39f4e63189b5794ff.png

image.thumb.png.d67c93aae7027f18dd52c3af8a2cf265.png

image.png.80f6e9145eef5a0c6699b55a90a8741d.pngimage.png.0e3c8f77e940969e221b4b39fe93b8e7.png

is this a limitation of this procedure ?

here's the C4D file if you can take a look:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h5D7YhSW2neSjkYgsmJUk3IglFYiH5XR

Hi, try also unchecked: refraction and receiving shadows on the rocket comp tag.

• Topic Author
  • I tried. refraction does not make a difference, and if I cancel receiving shadows on the rocket it cancels all the shadows and not just that difference.

Ok, i will check your file in a moment.

I couldn't fined any better setting, the only solution i can think of is to do one pass with the top light on hiding the rocket from render and catching just the shadows, and another pass with  a light in front and sides locations to avoid the shadows on the rocket reflections.

• Topic Author
  • thank you for your help.

tried to get away with one pass alone and maintain the same look. guess this technique has it's downsides. 

Try duplicating your floor.  Add a comp tag to that and uncheck seen by camera.  Then add a comp tag to your original floor (that has the shadow catcher on it) and uncheck seen by reflection.  Now your rocket will reflect a gray floor (like your original setup), but not render it.  The comp tag on the shadow catcher floor is needed because it doesn't knock out the non-shadow areas like the old shadow catcher plugin used too (oh how I miss that plugin... not a fan of the new shadow catcher), it just turns it all black and sends the shadow data to the alpha buffer.

Hope that helps!

• Topic Author
  • Thanks KVB, I tried that. still the floor gives a darker shadow to my Rocket... notice the darkness in the right of the Rocket. 
    image.thumb.png.ca890a3bcd36435f5d8193c5341c7828.pngimage.thumb.png.233ba637078b6d11c4aef30916d60919.png

23 hours ago, Roei said:

Thanks KVB, I tried that. still the floor gives a darker shadow to my Rocket... notice the darkness in the right of the Rocket. 

KVB is correct in the setup. However, you have turned off 'Seen by Reflection' on the Floor.1 object in your image. It is the Floor.1 that is making the shadows on the rocket lighter because it is bouncing the sky light back up at the rocket.

1609846945_ScreenShot2019-03-28at4_28_54PM.thumb.png.d415f1bd78809e8b6ec8fe173e1a7f8b.png

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Vlzn I get it now it works!