Info News:
  • C4D Cafe 2.0 COMING SOON!

Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Footprints on lunar surface

Nice ! Working well so far...

CBR

Instead of doing it with geometry do it with textures.  A bump or normal map should do the trick.  If you are using C4D for rendering you could add parallax to make the bump really look depressed.

To make the boot print appear and disappear it could be done using the alpha in a texture animated or get another plane right on top of the plane there with all the same setting, but the bump or normal map.  This would be called a decal if you were using the Unreal Engine.  With the plane it's a bit simpler cause all you have to do is keep the planes disabled till the boot hits then enable it.  Make sure the shadow is turned off in the top plane.  I show both ways in the file.

988206478_footprintindirtwithmat.thumb.jpg.c3cf8251c8e178779b26b31f1a70c7e8.jpg

footprint in dirt with mat.zip

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Instead of doing it with geometry do it with textures.  A bump or normal map should do the trick.  If you are using C4D for rendering you could add parallax to make the bump really look depressed.

To make the boot print appear and disappear it could be done using the alpha in a texture animated or get another plane right on top of the plane there with all the same setting, but the bump or normal map.  This would be called a decal if you were using the Unreal Engine.  With the plane it's a bit simpler cause all you have to do is keep the planes disabled till the boot hits then enable it.  Make sure the shadow is turned off in the top plane.  I show both ways in the file.

footprint in dirt with mat.zip 178.92 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you. I will take a look :).

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, Fastbee said:

988206478_footprintindirtwithmat.thumb.jpg.c3cf8251c8e178779b26b31f1a70c7e8.jpg

footprint in dirt with mat.zip 178.92 kB · 1 download

I looked at it...the problem here is how do I match the texture used as bump or normal with the texture of the whole landscape?

In my previous comment here (previous page) I cut the small area from the main landscape preserving the exact texture which was at that place where I cut it (if I look in the texture material after the cut I see that it retained the whole texture for the whole landscape but it only displays that part where I cut it - so blending with the surrounding area is easy).

How I do that using your technique? So it can blend seamlessly into the landscape? (not sure how parallax could help me here) 

• Topic Author
  • On 3/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, Cerbera said:

A quick test file for you using the collision deformer, which looks like it can be persuaded to do this with very high res geo...

Here we have a really badly modelled boot I quickly threw together (shown upside down to show what the tread looks like), then an instance of that is set up to collide with a plane, which I have already displaced with Luka noise to approximate your moon surface close up. That looks like this.

2083477733_moonrockfootprintlow.thumb.jpg.6fd9da6b3570f771347f0c184cc822f6.jpg

If we want that to look properly detailed, we need to up the plane segments to something like 600 x 600, which grinds everything to a halt, but does get us close to the amount of detail we need. Note, I have used R20 fields to make the displacement not appear where the foot has fallen - in R19 you would need to do that with falloff, but actually you don't need ot do it at all because you don't need the displacer as you already have the deformed geo. I needed it here to test if it worked on an undulating surface.

751451715_moonrockfootprinthi.thumb.jpg.fe097f74bec0993cacd2ab0905b3a85e.jpg

Now we're getting a nice sharp indent, but with some edge artefacts. Because I did this on a plane, which is all quads, I could Sub-D this one level to fix that, but you can't because your moon rock is built of triangles and horrendous topology. Of course if you made a nicer, more accurate boot, and subdivided that a bit, you might get a nicer result.

So hopefully that helps you decide whether this idea is worth pursuing...

CBR

I am trying to imitate what you have done here...but look how it looks mine. Is it because I am trying to do it with the small area I split from the original, which has triangles and not squares as geometry?

522 Mar. 28 03.21.jpg

3 minutes ago, mikoian said:

I am trying to imitate what you have done here...but look how it looks mine. Is it because I am trying to do it with the small area I split from the original, which has triangles and not squares as geometry?

Yes. Triangles deform badly unless they are 100% uniform. Quads are always superior, except in dynamics.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes. Triangles deform badly unless they are 100% uniform. Quads are always superior, except in dynamics.

CBR

Oh well, next time I know how to choose my stuff :) (that Moon landscape I have picked it from a website...and paid for it).

Here's something that may save you yet... go and find a free application called Instant Meshes. You can use that to retopo your section as quads.

It's pretty much a 2-click solution.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Here's something that may save you yet... go and find a free application called Instant Meshes. You can use that to retopo your section as quads.

CBR

Ok, I found it. Hope it won't ruin the textures or anything else :).

• Topic Author
  • 19 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

Ok, I tried for that small area I split from the original mesh. It works but that portion of the texture is ruined, it doesn't look the same. So I can't blend it with original, I guess.

Maybe I should try to convert the entire mesh to quads...but probably that would ruin the original texture as well?

No, as soon as you change the points the UVs are screwed. But what would happen if you just projected the texture again straight down from the top flat-stylee ? Might be fine ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, as soon as you change the points the UVs are screwed. But what would happen if you just projected the texture again straight down from the top flat-stylee ? Might be fine ?

CBR

Not sure how to do that....