mikoian

Footprints on lunar surface

In the material tag change mapping to Flat, then texture mode (and Axis mode) and make sure it's on the right plane (presumably XZ). If not rotate until it is.

It might just work.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

In the material tag change mapping to Flat, then texture mode (and Axis mode) and make sure it's on the right plane (presumably XZ). If not rotate until it is.

It might just work.

CBR

Yeah, looks like it's not working...if in the UVWmapping I wouldn't have those bumps maybe it would have worked.

mapping.jpg

• Topic Author
  • On 3/28/2019 at 1:28 AM, Cerbera said:

Yes. Triangles deform badly unless they are 100% uniform. Quads are always superior, except in dynamics and for game engines.

CBR

Ok, so I asked who sold that terrain to change it form triangles to quads, which he did. It looks ok from what I can see.

I tried again the collision deformer and I get almost the same result as with triangles. I don't get the imprint shape you showed me here (those stripes inside the footprint). And not sure what is the cause.

I split a small area from the main landscape and and then subdivided 2-3 times to make the quads smaller. And here I used the collision deformer.

Maybe you can take a look?  https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k2axst7c8i132g/MoonLandscape_3_UltraHigh_Quads1.c4d?dl=0

I have had a look. The reason that isn't working for you is because the scene scale is radically different to my example file, so the collider settings are incorrect.
    You need to reduce the Size parameter under Advanced from 1 cm to 0.01 cm. I also improved the boot by removing the bevel deformer, adding a few edge loops to tighten edges, and applying 2 levels of SDS. Quite a nice result now - here it is working on your mega-density section...

879928256_MoonBootV2.thumb.jpg.b0e21a09d66adff7a6146f722a497d3d.jpg

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I have had a look. The reason that isn't working for you is because the scene scale is radically different to my example file, so the collider settings are incorrect.
    You need to reduce the Size parameter under Advanced from 1 cm to 0.01 cm. I also improved the boot by removing the bevel deformer, adding a few edge loops to tighten edges, and applying 2 levels of SDS. Quite a nice result now - here it is working on your mega-density section...

879928256_MoonBootV2.thumb.jpg.b0e21a09d66adff7a6146f722a497d3d.jpg

CBR

I would have never thought of Size parameter :). I am trying right now...

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

CBR

Hm...still now working...can I see your C4D file to compare?

On 3/27/2019 at 3:55 PM, mikoian said:

I looked at it...the problem here is how do I match the texture used as bump or normal with the texture of the whole landscape?

In my previous comment here (previous page) I cut the small area from the main landscape preserving the exact texture which was at that place where I cut it (if I look in the texture material after the cut I see that it retained the whole texture for the whole landscape but it only displays that part where I cut it - so blending with the surrounding area is easy).

How I do that using your technique? So it can blend seamlessly into the landscape? (not sure how parallax could help me here) 

If you looked at my previous file there were 2 ways shown.  One would have a separate material for the moon set on top with the projection set to flat and having it moved and rotated on the moons surface.  The other way would be a plane you could place anywhere.

If your question is how to make a material that matches, then start by copying the current material and add an alpha map that perfectly blends into the boot.  The boot print should be taking up the whole size of the UV map so to get the scale of any old maps right you have to scale up the old textures in the texture settings not in the UV tiling settings.  With the boot being such a small area on the moon the right alpha blending on the boot print is key.

Try turning on and off parallax in the file I uploaded to see the difference.  Parallax makes it look like it really is depressed into the surface or jumping out.

Doing it with geometry is really the super hard way to be doing it.

In the file I show how even with a detailed texture like a brick map the deformation, which could be anything like a boot print, can work well.  The deformation being separate planes can easily be moved anywhere and turned off and on.

boot print help 2.zip

If you do want to use geometry I'd use a bool to get the boot print appearing into the moons surface.  This way you don't have to worry about subdividing the original or anything like that. The original moons surface should have high enough geometry so as to have one quad per foot print.  Doing a bool on top of the geometry made with a first bool is bad stuff in C4D.

This would be the way to go if you have one shot that is super zoomed up on a single foot print.

• Topic Author
  • 18 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

If you do want to use geometry I'd use a bool to get the boot print appearing into the moons surface.  This way you don't have to worry about subdividing the original or anything like that. The original moons surface should have high enough geometry so as to have one quad per foot print.  Doing a bool on top of the geometry made with a first bool is bad stuff in C4D.

This would be the way to go if you have one shot that is super zoomed up on a single foot print.

Nothing comes out of it (see the image from below the boot, which is the model). My surface is a plane, it doesn't have depth dimension.

539 Mar. 29 23.38.jpg

I can't agree that a boole would help here - as OP says it's an open plane, so that just won't work - booles require 2 closed volumes and modifying his plane would break his UVs. Also using booles in animation is fraught with problems, flickering and artefacts as geometry pops all over the place from frame to frame, so I just can't see how that could be a winner here.

But more bad news for OP - I don't have the file - we had a rogue power cut last night, and I lost it when power went down for 5 mins ! :/

CBR

23 minutes ago, mikoian said:

Nothing comes out of it (see the image from below the boot, which is the model). My surface is a plane, it doesn't have depth dimension.

539 Mar. 29 23.38.jpg

Give it thickness, but I would try the texture way first.

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I can't agree that a boole would help here - as OP says it's an open plane, so that just won't work - booles require 2 closed volumes and modifying his plane would break his UVs. Also using booles in animation is fraught with problems, flickering and artefacts as geometry pops all over the place from frame to frame, so I just can't see how that could be a winner here.

But more bad news for OP - I don't have the file - we had a rogue power cut last night, and I lost it when power went down for 5 mins ! :/

CBR

Oh nooo! :(